+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to Convert to Business and Obtain Product Insurance

Default When to Convert to Business and Obtain Product Insurance

This is our third year of making syrup. Year one was an experiment and we made a couple pints. Last year we added a gravity vacuum system and make a few gallons which we sold/gave to family, friends, and co-workers. This year we have increased again and expect to get 10 - 20 gallons of syrup and if this works out, our sales will go beyond the friends and family level. Next year we should reach the 20 - 30 gallon level and will then be close to maxing out what we can produce on the property we own. I know some of this will vary state to state, but at what point do you consider, or need to, operate under a business and/or get product insurance?
    10 taps in 2015
    65 taps in 2016
    177 taps in for 2017
    new Homemade RO
    2' x 4' Hobby Evaporator

Are you planning on selling retail, or on consignment or do you plan to keep selling to friends, family ect...

We are looking to sell at Farmer's market and/or local flee market. Also know a small store owner and could possibly go there also. Will also continue to sell to friends and family.
    10 taps in 2015
    65 taps in 2016
    177 taps in for 2017
    new Homemade RO
    2' x 4' Hobby Evaporator

Quote Originally Posted by themidnightsapper View Post
    We are looking to sell at Farmer's market and/or local flee market. Also know a small store owner and could possibly go there also. Will also continue to sell to friends and family.
    Of course insurance companies will always tell you that you need them and take your money I think that you will have limited exposure at that scale and that any kind of business insurance will not be required. There may be a way to put an umbrella on your home policy that will cover that "just in case" instance and I would also put a "Homestead" on your home

We have done small markets in the past with various items including homemade maple oat bread and never had a problem In fact at the Farmer's Market I don't think anyone is insured including the guys that sell beef and lamb

But it would suck if you lost your home because of a liablilty claim.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    But it would suck if you lost your home because of a liablilty claim.
    That's why I suggested a Homestead as protection

Some places may require the insurance, you should check with others at the market. We make 30 gallons/year and don't worry about the insurance. We were quoted around $700/year for liability and coverage of some supplies. The majority of the cost was the liability insurance. When you sell $1800/year and have to pay over 1/3 of it to insurance you will be in the red.

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    That's why I suggested a Homestead as protection
    Don't think that will cover product liability. I have a farm policy. It does not include product liability. I have to a rider for that. Everyone has to pick their own comfort level. I also carry market liability which would cover someone getting hurt at the stand or a canopy blowing over on something/someone. The market we go to does not require it.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

whose your policy with? I am in the process of dealing with farm family to develop a homeowner with product liabilty for maple syrup.

My policy is with Farm Family. Call them and get a quote. I have all of my insurance with them except medical. I have a farm policy and I think my Liability portion was about $500 a year. One issue there is that the insurance covers you for product liability regardless of whether you sell 4 qts a year or 1000+ gal.
    Insurance is not cheap, but then just 1 lawsuit would cost you far more than 50 years of insurance bills even if you win the suit.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast