+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spile/Tap Sanitation

Default Spile/Tap Sanitation

This will be our second year using 3/16" gravity tubing. Was thinking about sanitation of our plastic spiles, and whether or not they would need to be sanitized before tapping this year - mainly as a precaution against bacteria causing the sap hole to close up early. What do you guys do for sanitation of your spiles, if anything?

Most people change there spouts each year with new ones as they are virtually impossible to completely sanitize.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I found at 16 cents each for my small operation i cant even buy a gallon of bleach to try and clean them.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Plastic is to porous ,you can't sanitize it,you can reuse if you want but your sap flows will drop dramtically because of the bacteria on spouts,the hole will seal over a lot quicker,unless you are making a little bit for yourself or friends and not to worried about how much you want to make

Thanks! Always so much to learn. Wouldn't have thought that enough bacteria would survive and build up over a hot summer and a freezing winter to cause serious problems. Think we will go ahead and replace our spiles, certainly a minimal cost in the big scheme of things.

Default Using steam to sanitize

Has anyone ever tried using steam to sanitize taps? Would it be more effective than bleach and water?
    Rob
    Started with 30 taps.
    Now I really don't count... Never enough!
    24X48 Smokey Lake Pan
    5 (275) Sap IBC storage totes
    3 Shurflo pump 3/4" mainline
    Maple Jet Filter Press

If this is true about plastic being porous why wouldn't you have to replace all tubing and Ts as well? Just the tap because it's connected to the hole?

What is in the lateral does not affect it, because that is too far from the hole, but the tap should be changed every year and the drop about every 2-5 years. I change my drops every 3 years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Do a search online for a PDF called New York State Maple Tubing and Vacuum Handbook. It's an excellent read with tons of information in it. Part of it includes a lot or research results regarding tap and pipeline sanitation and gives you a a lot of different options. As Dave says, the most efficient way to maintain max sap flow is to change your taps every year and drops every few years from what I've read. Also the use of CV spouts can also help extend the life of your drops.
    Maple Rock Farm
    www.Maplerockfarm.ca
    400 taps on Vacuum
    18”x60” Lapierre propane evaporator with Smokey Lake auto draw off
    Homemade 3 post RO with MES membranes
    Ford TS110 tractor sap hauler

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by mattaddington View Post
    If this is true about plastic being porous why wouldn't you have to replace all tubing and Ts as well? Just the tap because it's connected to the hole?
    It is not an "if". It is a reality. The closer you are to the taphole the more important sanitation is. Spouts have the most influence, thus should be the primary focus of sanitation. Droplines also have a good deal of influence, especially on vacuum tubing systems. By the time you get to the laterals, and especially once you get to the mainlines, there is relatively little impact of sanitation, whether good or bad, on sap yield.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/tubing_age.pdf

In short, the best approach is to at the very least change spouts each year or to use CV spouts. If you use regular spouts, change drops every 2-4 years. If you use CV spouts or CV adapters, then you needn't change droplines until the tubing reaches the end of its useful life. You can clean tubing/spouts, but it is less effective and generally results in lower net profits (if you consider your time is worth something).

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/How%20often...0droplines.pdf

Many other papers on the subject at http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast