+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: So when are people tapping in CT this year?

Default So when are people tapping in CT this year?

Just curious the consensus on when to start tapping in CT this year. Seemed I was a little late going last year.

I tapped some trees today in Rhode Island, about when I tapped last year and weather seems good for it. Where in CT?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

In Stamford.

I tapped February 4th last year and had my first boil February 5th. That sap ran well those first days!
    I'm hoping the weather gets cold again and stays that way until at least the same date this year....
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Have not tapped yet. Last year tapped at the end January and first boil was February 2nd. I am hoping that it gets cold again and stays cold till I can finish up on the new sugar shack. No more cooking out in the field under the elements this year. Also still waiting on a new tank to get here. We are located in Redding Ct.

I started today, 2 weeks ahead of last year, look at the 10 day weather & go for it -

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Van View Post
    I started today, 2 weeks ahead of last year, look at the 10 day weather & go for it -
    Jeeze I hope you're wrong! I'm just ten miles north of you and was hoping to hold off for a couple of weeks. Let me know what happens and I might follow you're lead. Should have the rest of my tubing run this Saturday and I'll be ready to go.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

Had about 5 gallons so far from tress I tapped yesterday. Didnt do too many tress but not bad, weather is beautiful today

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i too am keeping a watch on the weather and have downloaded several weather apps, and the maple tapping app to keep a close watch in my area (Oxford). I am finishing my PVC bag holders this weekend, storing up the propane for finishing, and fixing the door to my shack, gathering the last bit of kindling. Last year i tapped on Jan 28th and the runs started a few days after (beginners luck), this year i can't wait to start, and know the weather for the next few days would yield something, but probably not the start. Im going to stay firm with tapping at the end of the month, or when signals tell me to go. Its a tough call, because i can't wait to get started. Monitoring the activities of others on MT is a bonus as well. If anyone want to text or chat during the season, please reach out 203-217-1030

weather.com for me is showing 15 days of some pretty good weather for syrup https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/06757 some showers next week, but overall not bad. I got 75 in today, should get the other 75 tomorrow, and be boiling Fri or Sat. I'll do a few refract. tests tomorrow, too tired tonight. 3 years ago, tapped late Feb with snowshoes on, what a difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast