+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foothills of the Berkshires, thinking about tapping

Default Foothills of the Berkshires, thinking about tapping

I'm not tapping yet, but the forecast is making me itchy. Next week looks like it should have good flows most of the week. I think if I were on vacuum and tubing, I'd consider tapping over the weekend. But I'm on buckets, so it still seems way too early.

That being said, considering how warm it has been, and the long-term forecast showing likely above average temps for Feb/Mar, I'm seriously considering tapping the first warm spell in late January or early February, as opposed to waiting it out until late Feb or early March. I'd hate to have my buckets drying up for a big run in late March/early April, but if early Feb is going to be big, maybe better not to wait.

Last year I was still building my arch in early March. So even though I had a pretty full season of sugaring last year, this is my first season of having to decide how early to hang the buckets.

I know it's still early to be deciding, but I have family that wants to plan travel stuff, and I'm wondering if planning anything for early Feb will be a big problem.

Anyone else on buckets in western MA - what kind of timing are you thinking about?
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

One thing to keep in mind is that even though we might get favorable weather, the days are still short and the sun is still low in the sky. Short days mean less sap because there is only a few hours that the temperature warms up enough to make it run before freezing back up. With the sun being low, thawing out is slower.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

That's a very interesting point I hadn't thought of. And all the trees I'm tapping are on an east-facing slope, so they're not getting a ton of sun in the first place.
    All on buckets

I'm planning on tapping my south facing lines on Feb 18th, north facing lines Feb 25th, and buckets March 3rd, if the long term forecasts are anywhere close to right (about a 50/50 chance!). Subject to change but seems like a good bet. I can't do any earlier due to other plans.
    Dave
    Mountain Maple farm
    2022 NAMSC award winning dark amber syrup
    2023: 320 taps, 70% red maples. Mountain Maple S4 diaphragm pump controller with automated sap transfer and text messaging
    https://www.mountainmaplefarm.com
    https://www.facebook.com/MountainMapleFarm/

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    ...., and the long-term forecast showing likely above average temps for Feb/Mar,...
    These are basically as good as a WAG. The long-term average high/low temperature for your location is probably a better predictor, although with significant variation. In short....your guess is as good as that of anyone else.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Long term averages are the best reference, but in my former career I learned to watch trends as well. If a seasonal trend was unfolding I would adjust my goals accordingly, but I found that even warm trends rarely changed my work more than two weeks and generally only a week to ten days. So to tap more than two weeks ahead of historic data would be a big gamble in my opinion. I do tap early, but those are taps I am willing to gamble with, my main woods I tap reliably within a week to ten days of the same date annually. To me, those early taps are like having a little extra cash in your pocket that your willing to lose for the chance of a big gain, so you buy a lottery ticket and hope. For your main production you may miss it a year here or there, but over the long haul your better off staying with the historic data, give or take a few days for that years trend.

I'm at 2,000 ft. elevation in Savoy....I normally tap the 1st week of March. Last year we tapped in mid February. I wouldn't consider tapping this early even with mld temps. There's just no telling what the next 6, 7, 8 weeks will do. If by mid Feb. the long range looks mild I will tap then.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

If I tapped NOW, I'd be out of firewood by the end of February.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

Thanks for all the input everyone - appreciate it. After looking over the last few years, it appears that if I don't count 2012 (a crazy warm year) the average best time to tap where my sugarbush is was the 24th of Feb. And factoring 2012 in only moves that average to Feb 19th. So I think the earliest I'd go this year, if the weather looks outstanding that early, would be the second week of Feb (1.5 weeks before the average). But of course those two weeks could be a deep freeze, in which case of course I'd tap later.

Just saying that if the end of Jan and first week of Feb wind up being warm, I'll try to be strong and give it a miss.

Cheers!
    All on buckets

Due to an unscheduled trip suddenly allowing me back to our farm in NY, I'm going to tap some of our trees starting next Friday - we're just over the border from Great Barrington, so probably very similar to your environment in Chester. Will report back if anything interesting happens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast