+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Side Stands

Default Road Side Stands

My neighbor invited me to sell my syrup this year at his road side honor stand. He does veggies, herbs & spices, jams and jellies However I know there is the potential for theft with an honor system like this

Does anyone sell in this fashion and what has your experience been?

Quote Originally Posted by johnpma View Post
    My neighbor invited me to sell my syrup this year at his road side honor stand. He does veggies, herbs & spices, jams and jellies However I know there is the potential for theft with an honor system like this

Does anyone sell in this fashion and what has your experience been?
    I thought about doing a self serve here at the house, but only putting one pint and one quart out at a time. First time I get stiffed, that would be the end of it. I never got beyond thinking about it though. lol
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

Where I live there seems to be stands around every corner so I guess it must work out where I am in the "country" . Maybe it depends on location. It will be beneficial that there are other things being sold at the stand. I hope to be able to have enough to sell someday.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

I did it years ago with a buddy who did honey at his house. We had good luck for the most part. An occasional bottle would come up short or the money was a little off, but we figured it was probably poor math skills and not theft. Then we had an incident of vandalism. That was it at the time for us, but my buddy has since returned to the practice. I have thought about doing it again here at my house but have not pursued it.
    I'd give it a try. I agree, only put a little bit out there at a time. And in all reality, if you were selling in a store or gift shop, there would be theft there too.
    Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I have not tried it. My inlaws used to do it with pumpkins with pretty good luck. My feeling is you will gain sales. There could be loss. But what would it cost staff it?probably more than losses.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

In the right spot it is a good idea I would limit how much is out at once as well as when and if you leave your # they could call you if there wasn't Syrup there. A trail camera would help deter mischief.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    In the right spot it is a good idea I would limit how much is out at once as well as when and if you leave your # they could call you if there wasn't Syrup there. A trail camera would help deter mischief.
    good idea, hadn't thought of that.
    2019- RO
    2018- 25 taps made 8 gal syrup.
    2017- 25 taps -built a 2x3 flat pan, and a fuel tank arch for it. 335 gal 7.34gal syrup.

2016- 15 taps, 4.3gal syrup boiling on cinderblock arch 3 roasting pans, 1 redneck trash can with a pot, and a turkey fryer.

2015- 4 taps 44 gals of sap made 2.25 gal of lite syrup.

Lots of great suggestions and ideas!! Appreciate the thoughts everyone

Also thought about selling it at work Lots of salesmen / women come in was going to build a disply and put it in the lobby

Will an old soda machine work? Since you don't need the cooling system to work should be able to get it cheap?. Will still need electric to take the money.
    Dave C.
    2011 - 130 Taps
    2017 - 300 Taps (all gravity)
    2x8 Leader Revolution Evaporator
    12x18 Sugarhouse
    2021 - 350 taps
    Leader Micro2 RO
    Leader Clear Filter press
    2023 - 390 Taps

I have used the honor system for over 30 years for my u-pick blueberry fields, but I don't dare put out syrup. It may work, just realize that 99+% of people are honest, I just worry about the very few who aren't with a higher priced, ready to carry away item like a jug or bottle of syrup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast