+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What taps and tubing to get?

Default What taps and tubing to get?

3 year doing this and still learning, finally built and 55 gallon drum boiler to make it easier. Small set up only 10 to 15 trees, been using home Depot bucket and tubing I get the with some grey spigots. What a friend has told me to get, that been said is there better options or good for my size hobby?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I started about there too. If you're sticking with 10-15 trees and can still handle carrying buckets, it's probably not worth setting up anything more extravagant. Tree spacing would also be a factor before deciding to do anything different.

A roll of semi rigid tubing would last quite a while. Will run you around $55-60 plus shipping. And clear polycarbonate taps are cheap. Replace the taps each year and reuse the tubing.
    Just my 2 cents.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Sorry I maybe read that wrong. I thought you were inquiring about a different setup. I agree with psparr, a roll will take you a long ways and give you room to grow. Taps are super cheap too.

Just go to any maple dealer and ask what they suggest. Be sure to get 5/16" taps and an official 5/16 tapping bit. Regular 5/16 bits will not give as good a tap hole. Never use that bit for anything other than tapping trees and it will last you a very long time. After tapping the trees, boil the bit in plain water, then take it out and let it dry. Following that, place it in a zip lock bag and save it for the next season. If you have a desiccant pack from anything that was shipped to you, even some prescriptions come with them, it will keep the bit dry and in new condition.
    I get over 1000 holes from a bit.
    The rest will depend on which brand that dealer carries.
    For just few taps like that, just use a thermos full of hot water, hold the last 1/2-3/4" in the water for a few seconds, then push the tubing onto the tap. For tubing use any brand 5/16 maple tubing, semi-ridged. Measure how much you will need, add a fudge factor and buy that, most places will cut to order for small orders.
    The most important part is to have fun.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

All good advice from those guy's above. It's best to use maple equipment for maple syrup. Save the big-box store stuff for when something in the basement springs a leak.

My father and I did the thermos method for years. We didn't buy a tubing tool until we were over 200 taps! The hot water trick works well and it was within our syrup budget back then, which would have had a rating of "Low", lol.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by psparr View Post
    A roll of semi rigid tubing would last quite a while. Will run you around $55-60 plus shipping. And clear polycarbonate taps are cheap. Replace the taps each year and reuse the tubing.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Is there a preferred online dealer for these?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Bascom is the easiest website to work from I've found, everything listed nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leader 30P and clear cv spouts
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Any producers close by? Buy supplies from them? Heck for that amount if you were my neighbor I'd give you the supplies and probably help you set it all up.
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast