+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those of you who use PVC Sap Sacks.....question for you.

This setup works well. 2" PVC. 4" long. With 3" long roof. You get 21 holders out of 10' equating to less than $0.25 per holder.

image.jpg

Is this where we post our versions of the pvc sap holders? Here's mine.

I use the thin walled PVC used for central vacuum lines. It's easy to cut with a pvc knife and doesn't leave pvc shavings everywhere. I use an additional piece overlapped and glued on the bottom instead of cutting a grove. Again, less pvc shaving everywhere this way. I use 5/16 taps, so drill two small holes, side by side using drill press. I think it would be better to drill them one above the other since the wind can blow the bags sideways and sometimes come off the tap. Maybe having them vertical would be better, but I haven't tried. I zip tie the bag and then fold the top of the bag over the zip tie. I tried pulling on the bag with a lot of force, and they didn't move.

I had to change a bag today because of a small hole (critters I suspect) and it was very easy. Since there is no grove, I can just push the holder into the bag so the zip tie comes off the top. I don't have to cut the zip tie. Then just zip tie another bag on.

I use the pvc caps on mine. I don't have that many taps, and it's an easy thing to take the caps on and off to empty the sap from the bags. They also keep crap out of the bags. I had a problem with moths when I used buckets. Nothing in the bags this year.

Cutter:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-2-...0938/203230376

20170307_104750.jpg20170307_104758.jpg20170307_104947.jpg20170307_105048.jpg
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

[QUOTE=wobbletop;325545]Is this where we post our versions of the pvc sap holders? Here's mine.

I use the thin walled PVC used for central vacuum lines. It's easy to cut with a pvc knife and doesn't leave pvc shavings everywhere. I use an additional piece overlapped and glued on the bottom instead of cutting a grove. Again, less pvc shaving everywhere this way. I use 5/16 taps, so drill two small holes, side by side using drill press. I think it would be better to drill them one above the other since the wind can blow the bags sideways and sometimes come off the tap. Maybe having them vertical would be better, but I haven't tried. I zip tie the bag and then fold the top of the bag over the zip tie. I tried pulling on the bag with a lot of force, and they didn't move.

I had to change a bag today because of a small hole (critters I suspect) and it was very easy. Since there is no grove, I can just push the holder into the bag so the zip tie comes off the top. I don't have to cut the zip tie. Then just zip tie another bag on.

I use the pvc caps on mine. I don't have that many taps, and it's an easy thing to take the caps on and off to empty the sap from the bags. They also keep crap out of the bags. I had a problem with moths when I used buckets. Nothing in the bags this year.

Cutter:
    [url]http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID

When you drill the holes side by side. Try and drill the 2nd hole a little smaller so it looks like a keyhole. This way when it blows around it has a lot less chance of flying off. On mine it is just barley big enough to slide over the little tab on the tap. We have been in a wind advisory the last 2 days blowing 40mph with gusts to 55mph, and I only had 1 blow off.
    2015 18 taps 3.5 gallons
    2016 24 taps 4.5 gallons
    2017 40 taps 15.25 gallons

011 (2).jpgIMG_1561[1].jpg

Mine probably cost more than what you guys are making but mine are super easy. I buy 45 degree 2" pvc. They already have a flange on them to hold the bag in place. I just drill a hole to hook the spile into and I'm ready to rock. .49 cents each.

013.jpg014.jpg015.jpg
    Better pictures for you.

My son drew up a plan in his engineering class.tmp_27415-20170314_205757-240882436.jpg This is not our design we perfected it through the years. Hope this helps. I like the drawing so much i framed it and put it in the sugarshack. Lee
    Last edited by backyard sugaring; 03-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    Lavoie's Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Homemade rear fired oil evaporator
    oil tank evaporator
    Home made stainless steel flue pan
    Homemade R O
    addition on barn for sugaring
    2 children who love hauling sap
    golden retriever who love syrup
    Barry the helpful neighbor who loves bottling
    Good wife who likes to think she finances this insane hobby

+ Reply to Thread