+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tapping now in southwestern Ohio

Default Tapped in

Put in 60 taps yesterday evening, and another 90 this AM. On bags. Those tapped yesterday were running good as we finished, those this AM were dripping good--will be going back to the Bush this afternoon to see how things are going . Sugarshack is ready to go. Hoping this week is going to be a good one. Will have to tolerate some mud. And that's the news from Brown County OhiiiYu.
    2009 A son (a schoolteacher) tapped trees on the farm for curious students

2010 Mom thought what the son done last year was pretty interesting, so boiled a small amount again.

2011 Became a family project. 150 taps on bags & buckets, a WF 2x4 evap, an old corn crib converted into a "Sugar Shack"---were addicted now and the ol' fun meter is "pegged" !!!

2012 thru 2017--still boiling, full throttle

I tapped the rest of the trees I plan to tap yesterday afternoon. I am at 143 which is less than usual, but my balance is off with some herniated discs so I am avoiding the steep hillsides. The 66 home tree taps have been running well. I collected 35 gallons yesterday and they continue to run today. It is one of those weeks that I may not be able to boil during the week, but it should be cool enough to keep. There should be a couple nice runs this week. So that's news from Adams County.
    Last edited by newman_maple; 01-29-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

Default Brown County

Taps have icicles hanging on them--but if the sun shines in the AM, I think it will be a good run. Just got the taps yesterday PM.Have not collected any yet. Hope things go well for you Newman.

2010 Mom thought what the son done last year was pretty interesting, so boiled a small amount again.

2011 Became a family project. 150 taps on bags & buckets, a WF 2x4 evap, an old corn crib converted into a "Sugar Shack"---were addicted now and the ol' fun meter is "pegged" !!!

Thanks Dobbs. I hope we have a good year. I think we will have some decent runs this week.

Welcome back everyone. I am back to my backyard this year. 3 trees, 6 buckets. tapped 4 last weekend and two this weekend. Small run over the weekend, ice in buckets so I left it, still looking clear. I will empty tonight and hoping for a good run this week. Sunshine!. Cold and sunny makes good sap. Anyway, Newman sorry to hear about your back. Take car of yourself first. Good to see you and dobbs back. Enjoy. My goal is 1 gallon.
    2014 - 15 taps and still on the turkey fryer.
    2013- 10 taps and a turkey fryer.
    Backyard hobby now. Grew up in Upstate NY around sugaring.

Well, I think I'll go ahead and put 75-100 out this afternoon and see what happens. May as well get fired back up, it was a nice break for two weeks after fall tapping. I hope sugar content is a lot better, it sucked this fall at 1.0 -1.2%.

so I put out 75 yesterday and some started dripping. I had twenty gallon this morning and thought I'd dump it in the pan and at least heat it up to start the sweet. WELLL sh%$ it seems when I cleaned I must of banged the draw off valve and broke the weld. Sap poured out onto the floor. So I grabbed buckets and shut off the head tank!!!! ARGGGG so my morning was spent going from shop to shop to find someone to tig weld my draw off valve back on. Now I have a big run going on and no pan to cook on........ various expletives ! I found a guy who promised to have it tomorrow so I'll be sitting waiting for the phone to ring. I hope to gosh it's done in the morning.

What's that old saying if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. Now I think I know how Haynes feels

Glad to see my Hamersville friend is tapping. I collected almost 70 gallons this evening. I have about 125 gallons to start boiling Friday. I just can't get to it until then. I should get another decent amount tomorrow so I will be busy this weekend. I need to put my steam hood up and I will be ready to go. It is good to see Brown County well represented! I have a friend from Georgetown who stops out now and then. They don't make a huge amount, but have a nice little setup. A nice couple from the Fayetteville area came down and talked to me a year or so ago. I do wish we have more Adams County producers. I have one friend south of West Union I have helped out and I know some of the local Amish and Mennonites have some family operations.
    Last edited by newman_maple; 01-31-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Default Full Throttle

Collected 65 gal sap last nite off of 70 bags, AND 165 gal tonite off 150 bags. There is steam in the Sugarshack. Hoping for more tomorrow. Good to here from Hamersville and Newman. Press on.

Hi Guys, been lurking for awhile. I have a little homestead/ farm and grow some fruits and veggies, chickens, bees etc, but brand new to this maple thing. I'm between Bethel / New Richmond area. Just put out 18 taps last week. Built a makeshift evaporator to get me through this first season... https://youtu.be/etMQ_C377fs
    Looking forward to perhaps doing my first boil this weekend if things go right the rest of this week. Any advice for a small potatoes newbie is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast