+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tapping now in southwestern Ohio

Looks like we'll have quite a warm spell midweek, so I'll post my sugar % then. All my trees are reds, and average 1% on the dot. That sounds low but I'm on high vacuum, so we're pulling a lot more sap, probably double that of buckets.

One benefit of a vacuum sealed system is that the taps stay open for months, being less exposed to bacteria. So hole closure is not as much of a concern for me, especially with our short winters here. I just found 2 or 3 taps I missed tapping last year and not only were they still open, they were running. It's not the holes closing that stops us; it's the early heat waves.

On buckets my average tap time was 2nd week of January. This year on vacuum I started just before New Year's but I'm still a long way from done. Next year I'll probably back it up to mid December if it's cold enough.
    -Laz

Appreciate you filling me in Buckeygold. I was at the maple day last year, but I'm not going to be able to make it this year (I have a new job where I don't have very much vacation time accrued-need to use it for syrup production). I found it very useful, they had the Cornell guy there last year that gave a very interesting presentation.

Im gonna jump in here with you guys some this year. Theres no tennessee thread. Ive been tapping a few years and built a wood fired arch last season. It worked really well , just need more sap!!

Sap was flowing yesterday, January 10th here in the Cincinnati area. I tapped 8 trees last Friday after seeing the weather forecast for this week just to see if the season would start early. Looks promising.

My fall taps are running good this morning so I guess I'll just let them go and see how long they run. I walked my main woods this morning and mapped out my "real season" taps. I may go ahead and put them out in about 10 days, we'll see what the weather looks like. I'm feeling more like an early season all the time.

Put in 4 taps as a test yesterday. 3 reds and a sugar. Got 2 gallons.

I put out 40 taps in a new woods with sap saks on Sunday, have only had about a gallon of sap so far. This morning I put out 4 taps on 2 trees that I have tapped the past 3 years and had about 3 gallons when I got home from work. Plan on doing a few more this weekend with tubing and buckets.

Just put out 300 taps on tube in Central Ohio. Will be putting another 300 out tomorrow. Sap is really flowing on the ones I put out. Sugar is running 1.5% on the soft and 2.5 to 3% on the hard maples. It looks like it might be another year like last season. If you want any syrup you might want to tap early.

Would like info on Ohio Maple Days in Morrow County on Jan 19th. Can anyone go and where is it held,any cost involved?

So we're running right at our average of 1% sugar on vacuum (all reds), but a ton of sap volume. About 7000 gallons since turning the pumps on Wednesday, and we're still only half tapped. Really, really need a bigger RO. But I guess that's what happens when it's 60+ degrees out.
    -Laz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast