+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tapping now in southwestern Ohio

Hybrid View

Default Tapping now in southwestern Ohio

Am I the first this year? We started tapping a few days ago here at the southwestern edge of the state, and have about 300 of 2100 finished. It's going to take probably the rest of the week, then we'll turn the pumps on this weekend. With 60 degree days at the beginning of January, I expect continued warm weather for the season. If I'm right, that means 80 degrees here by March so we've got to get started.

This year we're also trying a little walnut syrup on a small home made 2 x 3. Could be fun.

On that note, I have several hundred sap sak holders for sale, used but great condition, $2 per. They're still in their original boxes that stack 25 neatly. Contact me if interested. I also have 5/16 and 7/16 spouts.

Have a great season!
    Walnut on bags in 2017, homemade 2x3 evap

I tapped Christmas day, Lazarus. I've boiled 4 times and will boil next couple days most likely. Did you get the PM I sent you on the bag holders. Are your spiles used or new, I could use some 5/16th, but I'd want unused. I am just up the road in Ross County.

Hey there Buckeye, yes I got your note about the bag holders. Did you decide you wanted some holders?

I have plenty of 5/16 spouts, cast aluminum Soule and CDL, hookless, most used only one year, but all used. Cleaned and disinfected. They are $1 should you decide you want any.
    -Laz
    D&G 1200 RO
    Walnut on bags in 2018, homemade 2x3 evap

Im gonna jump in here with you guys some this year. Theres no tennessee thread. Ive been tapping a few years and built a wood fired arch last season. It worked really well , just need more sap!!

Good luck to both of you, way to get the taps out !!

I am in athens, and just a hobby for me, I tap about 20 trees 3/16 gravity. Even at that small amount I am not ready to tap.

Looks like a cold snap, well technically a "normal weather" spell sets in for about 5 days starting Thursday. I will tap Early next week when that cold spell breaks.

My trees are all north slope, so I do not feel like I missed too much.

--
    Tor

Yeah, I saw the weather. I'm on level ground so nothing hits the tank unless the pump is on. I'm planning to fire up the vacuum on Sunday.

But my arms are killing me already after 300 taps, and I'm not even 1/5 of the way there. Last year we hired out the tapping, which was awesome to be tapped in three days, but also expensive. We had no choice then as our new tubing system was a month into the season before it was ready to turn on, and we couldn't take two weeks to tap or we'd be sunbathing while doing it. This year I lost my job in November, so the combination of zero money but a lot of time on my hands means I'm out doing it all.

I'm using a Branon Precision Tapper (speed tapper), which I need to make a clean enough straight hole for vacuum, but it requires a little more force to use because of the spring action. Plus pushing the end of the drop over the tap requires kind of a lot of strength. My mainlines are near head height, so that means a high taphole and I don't have as much leverage that high up. I know it sounds like a lot of whining but after doing it hundreds of times a day, it adds up to seriously aching shoulders.
    -Laz
    D&G 1200 RO
    Walnut on bags in 2018, homemade 2x3 evap

My fall taps are running good this morning so I guess I'll just let them go and see how long they run. I walked my main woods this morning and mapped out my "real season" taps. I may go ahead and put them out in about 10 days, we'll see what the weather looks like. I'm feeling more like an early season all the time.

Sap was flowing yesterday, January 10th here in the Cincinnati area. I tapped 8 trees last Friday after seeing the weather forecast for this week just to see if the season would start early. Looks promising.

Lazarus, I wondered if you were getting all that sap processed and cooked before bacteria got to it in this warm weather. It's crazy, it is either freezing cold or 60s. I could have had a great early season if I had not had so many warm days, however it is still a pretty good early season for sap. The other thing is the low sugar content has kept my syrup production off. I have actually gathered the most sap I have ever had in the fall, which still isn't a lot compared to spring. I bet if I had some form of vacuum it could have done really well. If this is a precursor to spring everyone better be getting ready to go, because it may be a short spring sap season.

Agreed! Waiting on a buddy and headed to start. Hoping the weather returns to normal after this coming week.
    2x8 SMOKY LAKE and homemade arch
    SMOKY LAKE SS filter press
    825i JD gator
    300 taps and growing
    SL steam bottler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast