+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battlling the snow

Default Battlling the snow

Keeping the way clear so I can access the collection tanks when the time arrives is proving to be a challenge, over 2.5 ft of snow so far (Gorham Me). The road to the tanks is more a trail than a road, giving the Kubota a run for her money. Next summer, road improvement. Thinking about getting something like an old Ford or a Farm-all for the back lot, one of those with logging chains and I wouldn't need to keep trail plowed. Or maybe I could install plastic pipe and pump to top of hill then gravity feed down the other side to the sugar shack. Top of ill is up 30' and 300' distance. Should sap be pumped strait up a pole to a larger pipe that gravity feeds to top of hill or just run a pipe right up the hill? What kind of pump would it take to do the job?

Assuming you don't have electricity, I would just pump it the 300' up the slope with a small gas engine transfer pump and perhaps a 1" line. I would probably set it up with a valve after the pump so you could drain the sap back into the tank with out losing it or having to leave it in the line to freeze.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

Absolutely, if you can easily pump it, don't fight the snow. Just make sure your pump will exceed 30' of head (I'd suggest at least 50-60' minimum head) and pump it to the sugarhouse. have a drain to empty the hose back to the tank (or to a small barrel in a jet sled and pull that back on snowshoes). If you don't empty the line (and the pump) you will have major problems.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

In the past I have been hauling sap from the tank with the 4 wheeler. Last year the mud was so bad I said no more. This year I ran a 1" line down 300' and will pump it up. My honda 1" pump tested around 15-20 gpm. I will then close a valve and drain the line into the tank or 4 wheeler tank making only 1 trip down rather than 2-5. This year efficiency is the name of the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

We use the harbor freight 1" gas pump. It pumps from the bottom of the woods up to the trailer which sits about 1200 feet away and a little over 40 foot lift. I called and talked to a pump guy to see what size of line I would need for this. We ended up with using 1 1/2"line. It takes us about twelve min to pump out 400 gal. We have a shut off valve at the pump end so we don't get all that rush of SAP back at us. The bad part is it takes 100 gal. to fill the line up. We then drain it into a tank and hail it out.

+ Reply to Thread