+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: January 2017 journal

Default January 2017 journal

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. Just starting to get some preseason work done . Want to hang some more tubing soon.
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

Happy New Years. Still working on my new sugarhouse trying to get the inside done. Need to get some lights and electrical outlets put in.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Just got my collection tank set for my first tube setup, getting pumped for the season. Still need to finish running the laterals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

First day with snowshoes in the woods. We're a little over half way done with the lines and drops. The hardest, steepest and furthest away is behind us. Good thing, we are getting nailed with snow so far this year.

We've been working in the sugarhouse, will again today and likely tomorrow. Then we will head to the woods. We don't need snowshoes yet this year, only have 6-8" on the ground except in some drifts. I hope it stays that way, It's far easier and faster without, but I do want some snow cover. Bare ground this time of year is not good.
    In the sugarhouse we removed my propane fired bottler (It's going to the VVS auction) and will be building a counter in that spot for my new water jacketed bottler. Next I'm changing the RO room heat from electric to an inwall direct vent propane heater. The electric will stay as back up. I'll be running power for the WJ bottler too. We expect temps above freezing today, so we'll clean the tanks again too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Leader arrived today with the new enhanced steam away. Had lots of help to carry it into the sugar house,and some onlookers too. Bruce and his driver were a big help setting it in place and explaining how to hook it up
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Congrats on the upgrade Mr. Leggett. World class syrup will be produced a little faster this year in Crosby.

Been redoing a 500 tap installation that we took over from a fellow that retired,tubing was old,some not so old.found some purple tubing and some stamped 1999.Probably will have to get out smow shoes,unless last nights rain settled it.

I spent Wednesday and Thursday in the woods running new 3/16th lines. I had cut out a lot of old lines last spring when I pulled taps. I'm converting over to the 3/16th lines on around 300 taps and I've added another 50 so far. I'm averaging 20 -25 taps per lateral ,and I've installed a vac gauge on every run. Hopefully it will make it easier to keep an eye on problems . The really crazy part is Ive uninstalled about 800 ft of mainline. The laterals are a lot longer and my drop on most is around 80ft which should give me really good vac. Hopefully Ill finish up Friday and be set for the season to start. Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Going to the sugar house this weekend to start getting it ready. have to change all the old drops and make a bunch more. Went and got a propane salimander yesterday so I can have some heat to work in.Tomorrow I have to go pick up my new precision tapper that I ordered. I had more tap leeks than i wanted last year so this should help.Just looking forward to getting in the woods and getting ready.
    2012- 200 buckets 2 by 8 woodfired leader evaporator with hood and pre-heater. 2013-400 taps with cheek valves and new tubing system. 2014-600 taps with cheek valves and wesfab short bank filterpress and a 16 by 16 canner from Leader and a Kubota L3200 sap hauler.2016- new 250 gas powered Ro from Deer Run Maple. New Airablow 1000 tap gas powered vacuum pump and 1000 tap duel releaser and 1800 ft of sap transfer line to sugar house and down to 540 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast