+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Venting ideas for lean to

Default Venting ideas for lean to

I'm looking to build a 12'x7' lean to on the side of my shed to serve as a sugar house in the spring and storage the rest of the year. I'm curious on how people in similiar situations have vented their shacks with only a pitched roof. My options so far are:

1. to leave a 2-3" gap where the roof meets the shed wall add a drip flashing up the wall a few inches to keep rain out but allow the vapor to vent.
    2. leave the gable end of the rafters open which will allow a lot of wind and rain to get in.
    3. Install some of the roof vents available a Lowe's or Home Depot to be installed on the pitched roof. I feel that these would be too restricting.

For what its worth, I boil on a barrel stove with a 24"x30" pan so the steam volume isn't huge. Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by Rozzy; 02-14-2017 at 07:10 AM.

i have my 2x6 evap under a 15x 14 lean to off the side of my steel building, its roofed & sided with metal roofing/ siding with one end open. the only way i could keep it from dripping was to make a hood that vented the 4ft flue pan to the sky, and honestly even the 2x2 syrup pan would still make it drip so ive added another open hood over it to stop the water from dripping back into the pan. long story short a simple hood will keep you dry inside
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

A hood is the only good way. I ran my 2×5 flat panel in dad's 40×80×12 high pole barn without a hood for three days. it was so wet and foggy in there you couldn't see the other end .lol. and the Ridge is vented . My hood is nothing more than pole barn steel box over the pan was cheep and works great. Visited a sugar bush last year that had a hood made out of plastic stapled to the ceiling and some 1"×2" pine boards just over the pan. I laughed when I saw it. But later thought wtf it worked.

Hard to see in the pic but you see at the top I have the angle cut out and open while boiling inside. This is done on both sides. When I'm done, I added rope to pull it shut and then latch.

Never mind the 55 gallon drum outside. That will be replaced when I get done with my 275 gallon oil tank. This just serves as my warming pans now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSS2017; 02-27-2017 at 01:30 PM.
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

I would design a tilt up roof section over the area where the evaporator will go. That might require some special flashing at the place where the lean-to meets the shed and additional runoff channels wherever needed.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Cut a hole in the roof the length of your evaporator and slightly wider. Build a roof over the opening, parallel (at the same pitch) but a couple of feet above the opening and slightly wider, this roof will tie in further up on the original structure (mine ties into the roof of the original structure). Add drop down panels on each side. Boil away, you can open and close the sides depending on wind or weather. I have a 2x6 and this works very well for me.

i went with a hood because i only wanted 2 - 10 inch holes in my nice metal roof, plus it doesnt create a large draft thru my sugar too and i can boil when its raining without it coming in , and when the season is done i take the stacks down and cover the holes with 2 covers made from cutoffs for a water tight fit . either way works and can be done cheaply
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

If your wall height is at least 8' on the rake and 10' at the gable, the vapor will rise and exit if you can leave one or both of the gable ends open, before it's a nuisance at eye-level. Is your chimney going to exit through the roof at at a gable-end?
    Last edited by Daveg; 03-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread