+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2017 Missouri Tapping Season

Hybrid View

I have 40 maple trees and 14 walnut trees tapped this year. I collected another 3 gallons of walnut sap today and my first maple sap as well. I only checked a few maple buckets and collected about 5 gallons. There was more sap in some of the 35 gallon containers but I did not lug it up the hill. Hoping for a good day tomorrow.
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

I started taping Thursday afternoon and then all day Friday,, about 315 on tubing,,, 115 on buckets. I had about 40 gals from tubing with some color. only got about 17 gals from all the buckets. Some had not run at all yet. BUT the starlings have been using my woods as a rest,,, between flights into the fields!!!!!! Bird **** and piss on tops of most buckets. SO,,,, dumped 55 + - gals. Weather not good..... Not cold enough at nights so not much run
    2012 200 taps on buckets,,, Built me a 2' X 11' arch,,, hope to put most on tubing next year.

2011 100 taps on buckets, 30x 60 flat pan

2009 63 taps on buckets,,,, 30x60 flat pan

Hello all. I am brand new to this site. skinny78 just told me about it. I am also relatively new to making syrup. This is my second year. Last year, I collected about 20 gal of sap, and made a pint or so of syrup. So far this year, I have collected 50 gal of sap and have just over a gallon of finished syrup. My setup is pretty low volume and low tech. I am fortunate enough to have quite a few mature maple trees running along a creek on my property. I hope to learn all I can from you all.

Default welcome maple creek !

congrats on your first gallon. skinny is a good one to learn from- hes like a mad maple scientist with his hi-tech operation and you could zip over from boonville to see it. my setup is primitive compared to his. john
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

+ Reply to Thread