+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Missouri Tapping Season

Default 2017 Missouri Tapping Season

All this cold weather has got me thinking about the upcoming sugarin' season, so I thought I'd get a thread started for 2017. One thing's for sure, the weather is more promising this winter than it was last.

I lost one of my biggest sugar maple trees this summer. About 2 1/2 feet in diameter, maybe 130 ft tall, and it just fell over. Bummer. So that put me down a couple taps...I found a couple more sugar maples to tap in its place, but I doubt they'll get close to equaling the sap it provided.

Got my stove assembled this week: https://youtu.be/mDmOn4QODrs

Im gonna jump in here with you and the Kentucky guys this year. Ive been getting the itch too!!

Great to have you. Hope things cooperate in Kentucky.

Looking at our 10-day forecast, I may tap at the end of next week (5-7 January). That could change as we get closer and the forecast is refined.

Southern Ohio here, so not a lot different than you all. I put out 51 taps Christmas day and have had three boils already and made almost a gallon of syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Southern Ohio here, so not a lot different than you all. I put out 51 taps Christmas day and have had three boils already and made almost a gallon of syrup.
    Wow. I considered tapping a couple weeks ago when the temps were swinging between thaw and freeze, but it didn't feel right tapping in December. Maybe I should have based on your haul...

That is early! I might try it next week on a couple of trees. When do you guys usually have the best flow? Last of February here. Build a wood fired arch last year. It worked really good , just a really short season.

February has been the strongest month for me too.

I did tap yesterday in anticipation of breaking the freezing spell we're in right now. On the 9th we're supposed to start going above 32 degrees and it looks like a set-up for a strong flow for at least a couple days after that.

This year I tapped on 5 Jan. Last year was 6 Jan. So I don't feel too out-of-sync.

Let me know how you do. Im gonna tap a couple monday I think. Might sanitize some of my equipment tomorrow.

I set up some wire yesterday for my mainline. I will set up the mainline and laterals today. I will tap a few outliers today as well to see if the sap is running. lets get sapping!!!
    Crazy River Sap
    55 sugar maple, 15 walnut taps on plastic buckets and tubing
    Block arch on driveway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast