+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time For a Tapping 2017 Thread?

Default Time For a Tapping 2017 Thread?

I don't know about you but I am looking forward to tapping in 2017.
    I've been studying long range forecasts.
    I'm in Monongalia County.
    Thinking about tapping January 7 or 14.
    Earlier than ever before. Feel like I missed a lot in January last year with warm temps.
    Got a new vacuum system with Harbor Freight pump and old trusty Bender releaser.
    Can't wait to try it out.
    Happy Holidays.

I have video of one of my trees dripping from sap sucker bird damage Tuesday of this week! Hope to tap mid January myself if I can get everything ready, my location east of the mountains allow me to go early if I want to, usually not ready, need to open every tap this year got a new to me 500 gallon an hour RO, it needs to be drowned in sap. Should be right around 4000 taps if I get everyone open.
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Hey Mark sorry I missed the workshop earlier this month how did it go?

Good luck with the new RO Hope i am to busy to get done and see it in action. Yeah couple weeks away and i Still have a new pump house to build before I get going here. well best of luck Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow Sugarmakers

WV sugarshak

Jack, you tap after the hard freeze, I'm not quite ready, but prefer drilling frozen trees. Your helper playing basketball this season? I missed the Vikings vs Indians game last week. Did hear we won the Varsity contest!
    Have a second cousin playing, I usually try to attend a game or two each season just to support the relatives if possible
    Mark 220 Maple

hey Mark yes my helper is playing ball this year she score 23 points the other night. As for sugarseason just waiting on the weather. My extended forecast says once i get passed Thursday should be sugar weather till April I can only hope. Hey Why tap a frozen tree. aren't unfrozen less likely to spit and leak just asking hoping to learn something. Hope to bring a new sugarmaker down your way to see the camps at he Highland festival. Well be safe and i hope you get flooded out with sap for your new RO

Wvsugarshak

JACK,
    Reason I prefer to drill frozen trees, good sharp bit cuts a smoother hole, plus battery seem to last longer, but the main reason I can take more time at each tree because they are not running, when I'm drilling and the trees are running I can't get to the next tree fast enough, when I drill a bush that is frozen, they all start at the same time!

Mark 220 maple

Tapped in Upshur county 26 buckets pulled 43 gallons yesterday and 70 gallons today. Looking forward to a great season.

My kid is in her first year at wvwc in Buckhannon. We are from michigan wondered if you guys did syrup down there see a lot of maple trees. Does everyone use tubing there. Collecting would be tough on buckets.
    Smoky lake full pint on my leader half pint arch
    110 taps on 3/16 vacuum tubing
    Homemade RO sapinator

We use 50 -60 taps on buckets homemade arch there is a few folks close by that use tubing. Gathering not to bad I can get a 4 wheeler next to the trees. We make 16-18 gallons a year.

Put in 370 taps on 3/16 today. Sap flowing a bit as the day warmed. Here we go.

Keith

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast