+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spout and Health T Cleaning / Replacement

Default Spout and Health T Cleaning / Replacement

I am curious how many of you that have several hundred spouts or more change them every year? If so, do you install them while you tap or in advance. If you are installing them in advance, do you clean the Health T before inserting them? I am concerned that if you do not clean the Health T, you would be re-infecting the new spout and not accomplishing anything. Am I correct?

Had the same concern regarding contamination.
    I go out a day or two prior to actually tapping and replace the spouts.
    Just let them hang.

Tapping goes faster this way.
    Less stuff to carry while tapping.
    Less stuff to scatter when you trip over that snow covered branch.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

I change them all every year, but only clean the T if it looks dirty. I also change the whole drop every 4-5 years.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
    Had the same concern regarding contamination.
    I go out a day or two prior to actually tapping and replace the spouts.
    Just let them hang.

Tapping goes faster this way.
    Less stuff to carry while tapping.
    Less stuff to scatter when you trip over that snow covered branch.
    I had someone suggest to take a mister bottle and spray each health T with alcohol and let it evaporate and then insert the spout in the T. Their argument was that it would not be in the lines or coming in direct contact with sap, it was just sanitizing the T for spout storage so that you can install them prior to tapping without recontaminating the spout. Others thoughts on this?

I believe that in some states isopropal alcohol is prohibited.
    I just rinse mine with water at the end of the season and may change them every 5 years. I have not see a drastic decrease in sap production using these rinsed spouts for several years. I know there are lots of studies showing improved results. Maybe I am just lazy!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

2-3 of us do all of the woods work for a 5400 tap operation while still working full time jobs. We are in year 2 of trying to manage it and get it where we want it after several seasons of neglect/insufficient help. And we do get help to tap because we try to wait as long as we can.
    We are working towards getting drop replacement on a 4 year cycle which includes a new tee and spout. Last year, we replaced some drops and all 5400 taps because they were all mostly garbage. We did all the mainline and lateral repairs/checking first then went back through and replaced the drops/spouts prior to tapping. When it comes time to tap, everything else is done barring a tree down here or there or some moose damage. The tappers do usually carry a few pre-made drops, connectors and T'/spouts in case we missed something or there is some more damage. But for most of the day this stuff and the tubing tool stays in the backpack.
    We do clean taps in the spring with a solution sucked through each tap by vacuum. It's something the owner gets from CDL.
    Last edited by mainebackswoodssyrup; 12-13-2016 at 08:28 AM.

We replace all our spiles annually. As for using isopropyl alcohol, it is not approved in any of the states for cleaning sap lines. We simply flush out all our lines with water and then blow them out with air.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    We replace all our spiles annually. As for using isopropyl alcohol, it is not approved in any of the states for cleaning sap lines. We simply flush out all our lines with water and then blow them out with air.
    Gary
    I do understand that isopropyl alcohol is not approved for use in lines within the U.S.. The thought was to use it or 70% ethanol (used in hospitals for sanitation) to only clean the storage part for the spout located on the T so that you don't reinfect your new spout if you change them out yearly prior to tapping. Are you replacing the spouts while you tap or in advance?
    Last edited by Gallinipper; 12-13-2016 at 02:59 PM.

We have only been doing 500 taps, so we (my wife and I) have been doing them as we tap. However, based on a recent post to a thread by Dr. Perkins, we are thinking of going out the week before we plan to tap and attach the spiles to the drops to make tapping a little quicker because we have expanded our bush to 600 taps.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by MISugarDaddy View Post
    We have only been doing 500 taps, so we (my wife and I) have been doing them as we tap. However, based on a recent post to a thread by Dr. Perkins, we are thinking of going out the week before we plan to tap and attach the spiles to the drops to make tapping a little quicker because we have expanded our bush to 600 taps.
    Gary
    Do you have the link to the recent post/thread by Dr. Perkins?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast