+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaws

I just bought a stihl ms 250 for 300 dollars on sale because my new husky 562xp was in the shop. Bang for buck the ms 250 is great little saw which would make most people happy. Sharp chain 18 inch bar and you can run it all day. I cut down a 27 inch pine for my mill with well over 500 board foot sawed from it. The 562xp is nice but not much good when the auto tune does not tune.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

Quote Originally Posted by morningstarfarm View Post
    Stay away from the jonsered saws at tractor supply..I went through 3 of them in a month...the pull start gearing is plastic and strips out...finally gave up and bought a stihl at a pawn shop and fell in love with it....just my .02...
    Based on the reviews on the tractor supply site, I'd say this is good advice.

Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks and buying a well-maintained saw. My current Stihl was used and is a great unit.

I know an awful lot of folks who ended up being very unhappy with their power equipment purchases from the big box stores.
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket Head View Post
    I know an awful lot of folks who ended up being very unhappy with their power equipment purchases from the big box stores.
    Not only that, but if you have trouble and need it tuned or parts you'll have to go to a dealer most likely and they won't treat you as well as they would if you would have bought it from them in the first place. Heck dealers are usually small business owners and they might match Tractor Supply. Either way I'd rather support them.
    Jared

While used saws can be a great buy, beware. I've been a Husky saw guy from about 12 years, and have 3 in different sizes ranging from a 543XP (wearing a 16" bar, 2015)to a 359 (wearing a 20" bar, 2004) and a 365 with both a 28" and a big 34" bar (the 34" uses skip tooth chain 2012). I have had them, used them hard (besides cutting 15-20 cord each year I have a sawmill and cut some of my own logs, cut for others for the logs and buy the rest). In all this time I've had no issues with these saws. Back in 2006 my wife found a used Husky that looked to be in good condition. The seller said he had only used it to drop and cut up 5 trees behind his newer home and no longer needed a saw. We bought it for $200 (I don't recall the model number, but it was slightly smaller than my 359 and some lighter and it ran at a little faster rpm). That saw was a bad buy, I had to put money into it for 2 years before I finally just traded it in towards a Stihl 4 Mix gas trimmer I needed to use in my blueberry fields (4.5 acres). It seems the first owner must have used poor quality motor oil for his mix oil and the bore was scored, among other issues, all related to not properly using and maintaining the saw.
    I have heard of several others who have gotten good buys on used saws and a few who didn't, buy personally I'll only buy a quality saw from a reputable dealer who does in house service.
    At my dealer who also has contracts to do warranty work on Jonsered, Husky and Stihl and maybe others, I was there once when an item, bought elsewhere, was brought in for service. After that customer left he told his help to put it in the bin where items bought elsewhere were held. I commented and he said that he only repairs those item after any bought from him were finished. He had 2 waiting lists, priority for his customers, followed by customers who had bought from others such as Home Depot, Lowes and TSC.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have a 2159 jonsered that is 4 years old and has cut around 150 cord of wood and done quite well. I would buy another. I agree with those who say buy from a dealer. The saws at TSC, Lowes and other chains are not different, but they do not offer the pro grade model saws. I know Lowes, Home Depot and others sale what the saw makers refer to as consumer/home owner saws. They do not have the good chains on them either, but they are not made cheaper as the same model at a dealer. So it's models you want to compare. However, I say buy from a dealer for the service and parts choices. I used to work for Lowes and sold power equipment for them and i still bought my saw and saw gear at a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by maple maniac65 View Post
    What do you sugar makers think of the Jonsered 2166. Tractor supply has a 15% off Sale and I have another coupon for $50.00 which brings the price to 585.00. I really want the Stihl 066 magnum but that runs about 1200. Difference is about 20cc and 615.00
    If you ever have the need to cut big wood you won't regret the Stihl 660. Worth every penny in my opinion. You can also use it with an Alaskan Chain Saw Mill to make your own lumber. It comes with a 24" bar and will run up to a 36" bar no problem. This saw loves to cut wood. I also use a Stihl 390 which is also an excellent saw for smaller wood.

The newer computerized versions are the 661 and 391. Don't have any experience with them, but if they are like their old school cousins they are probably great saws.

No I don't work for Stihl, just really like their chainsaws.

I don't know if it's still the case but a few years back the johnsered and husky were identical saws with different plastic bodies on them, parts were all integrable between comparable models in the 2 brands. The 372xp husky and 2171 were the same. I agree on the box stores, I've got husky 372 and I like Stihl and johnsered too but I don't care for any of the homeowner type saws I run the pro grade saws they cut much nicer

I got a new chainsaw yesterday. It's a Stihl 261cm Arctic that a friend of mine in Canada shipped to me. Can't get them in the US .

I'm thinking that the heated handles will be the cat's meow for sugarbush thinning during the cold months. rps20170203_175536_254.jpg
    -Ryan

Went off the deep end. Might be in over my head...

Purchased a MS261 in November and retired the 1980 Jonsered 621 my 100year old grandpa gave to me. Great saw I have already cut 3-4 cords and it has not missed a beat. A lot lighter then the old 621!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast