+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IBC Tote Questions

Default IBC Tote Questions

I am new to totes, but have used a dome truck tank for several years so I know the downside of plastic containers and how hard it is to clean them, and keep them clean. It will be used as a collection point for a couple years for six or seven 3/16ths lines that will go directly to the tank. Once I upgrade my pump, and am able to obtain a milk tank or a round bottom SS tank, I will move the collection point further down the hill.

The tote I have was used for canola oil. I researched quite a bit before tackling the cleaning. Three evenings in a row I dumped a little water in it and did a Dawn detergent scrubbing and rinsed each time. Then I power washed it pretty good to rinse. Then I half filled the tote on the truck and put in powdered dishwasher detergent. I let that slosh around for a couple days. Drained that out tonight. There is zero oily residue left, and the tank smells way better than the new truck tank I bought years ago. Half filled it back up tonight and put baking soda in there to cut the detergent. In a couple days I'll drain that and put straight water in for a rinse down, then power wash it one more time. Not sure how much more I can do than that.

I am thinking I want to get this tank in the woods asap because I still have vehicle access right now. Once snow arrives, it will have to be slid down the hill about 200 feet. I don't want any nasties to grow in the tank between now and syrup season, and I know how these tanks act as a greenhouse with any kind of warmth and sun. Will simply covering the tank with a tarp drastically cut down on the greenhouse effect? Something better I could do? Should I bother getting it there now?

I bought a different lid for it, that has two 2" bung type screw off caps on it. One of those I hope to get all my lines holes in it leaving the other for access. Near the tank I plan on hanging a dozen or so buckets that are further down the slope. I figure while I'm waiting for the tank to pump out, I can collect a few buckets. Anybody have any clever ideas on how to easily get this sap into the tank? All I can come up with is putting a bulkhead fitting on a 5 gallon bucket, setting that bucket on top of the tote with a line into that other 2" hole.

And finally, should there be some kind of air vent in that tank when the sap is running? Where the lines go in I plan on making those holes pretty tight to help keep rain water out. Just didn't know if air needed to get out as sap is running in.
    Noel Good
    1998 to 2009: 15 taps on buckets, scavenged fire pit and pans
    2010: New 2x4 SS flat pan w/preheater
    2015: New to me Lapierre 18x60 raised flue, new shack, new everything!! 59 taps 23.75 gallons
    2016: 85 taps 19 gallons
    2017: Purchased 2.5 acres and tubed half with 3/16. 145 taps total 49.25 gallons
    2018: 200 taps (162 on 3/16ths 38 on buckets) New NextGen RO 63 gallons
    2019: 210 taps 73.5 gallons
    2023: 210 taps 89.75 gallons
    www.wnybass.com

They are a pain to keep clean. But it is possible. I had a couple of them that I could never get the smell out of after cleaning for weeks. i purchased 2 brand new ones last year. Figured the $200 each was worth it. Probley spent over 200$ pumping water from my well into the old ones to clean them out.
    As for the vent, what I did was drill a hole in the side of the screw on lid just above where the threads come to and tightly fit a 5/16 piece of tubing in it and tucked it in the cage and pointed it downward. i had a couple times before I did this when I opened the lid a big gust of gasses came out. Probley the gasses from the trees coming with the sap. Since venting it I never had a problem.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I use a tote on 50 taps on 3/16". I ended up putting a larger lid in the middle of the tote and transferred the 6" lid with the 2" bung from the middle of the tote to one corner. You can see how I ran my lines in the hole of the bung and you can see how I empty the tote through the larger hole. I had no additional venting. I hope the images help explain.

ATTACH=CONFIG]14812[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14811
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

+ Reply to Thread