+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December Journal

Default December Journal

Another month gone and another day in the woods today. We actually have some help this year, enough to do some trimming and make some more trails.......4 people is a lot better than 2! Will finish checking lines then do drops. If we can keep the help, big plans to run some more mainline and add taps.

Finished bricking and mortaring my new to me evaporator in my new sugarhouse. Exterior of sugarhouse completed, need to run some lights and plumb up my head tank.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Buying more land! don't know if it's possible but we're aiming to run 160 acres of tubing next year!
    Maple Man 85
    Anthony & Rebecca Renken
    2017=200 taps
    2018=4000 taps (goal) 3000 taps (actual)
    2019=7000 taps (goal)
    30x45 Sugar House
    4x16 Leader Vortex
    www.northwoodsmaplefarm.com

Finished building the 60 x 60 steel Quonset building early November,have since built a shed over the tank for the distillate coming from the steam away,just finished dismantling a 12 x 24 sugar house I built back in '85 to move to another bush to cover a tank,install a new Bernard releaser and the vacuum pump.
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Work on the New Sugar house has been crawling along, seems painfully slow some Days, But I am still holding out hope that I can get into it this spring. Got the rafters up this weekend, still have to adjust a few and put the heavy screws to them, going to try and put the sub-roof on this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

You can still make it, back in Dec. 2003 I was no where near as far along as you are. I was held up by building permit issues and approval, which I later found out that according to NYS law, ag buildings do not need a permit. The codes inspector held it up from early July until the Tues. before Thanksgiving, only agreeing after the build was completed that I had not needed to get a permit. I made my own trusses and got some help from my kids a neighbor and his friend on 12/31/03 and we set all the rafters. Then during the week following I put up the purlins and I got my son to volunteer one more day the next Sat. to put up the steel roofing. From then on I was on my own, I put up the board siding (no batton that first year) and since I had no time nor money to put in a concrete floor, I made a wooden platform that was 12' x 16' inside my 16' x 24' shell. I then set concrete blocks as a base to put my 2x6 arch on, covered them with 16Ga sheet metal and I then put the arch with evaporator on that. I then tapped the trees and I was ready(?). Then I built a raised platform on the North wall outside for my head tank, plumbed it into the evaporator, bricked the arch and waited for the first sap to run. I was barely ready but I did get the first sap of the season. I had 135 taps that season (about 60 on tubing and the rest on buckets) and made some great syrup. You are at least 3 weeks , maybe 4 weeks ahead of where I was back then. Have fun, that's what it is all about.
    Last edited by maple flats; 12-07-2016 at 08:30 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

It looks like it is going to be beautiful when done. I can only dream of that nice a building in my lifetime. Just put the roof on it and tarp the sides for this year if that's as far as you get. Once the roof is on set the evaporator up and do what you can do after that. Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

looking good Nate...
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Your not alone! Cupola built on a 1950's garage that needed straighten and supported. Wall still need sanded and cleaned up, and waiting for loggers to finishing thinning a new small sugarbush. Then need to run mainline, taps, tabks.... Everything. Trying to get totally set up with almost all used equipment for less than $4k......did I mention I got 2 toddlers? Loosing my hair, sanity, sleep AND LOVING IT.

Took my chainsaw for a walk at rte.11 this morning,,been making lots of value added maple stuff and working on my marketing game...interesting.....still need to walk the hill woods,,,we will get it....happy solstice......
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics