+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black or blue main line , does it matter

Default Black or blue main line , does it matter

I'm wondering does it really matter the color of the main line?

The guys selling blue say it does.

Search for threads already going on this subject. Right now there is one going on posted 2 below yours.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Many years ago I switched from black to all light blue and syrup quality went up 1 to 2 grades and higher sugar content.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

In our operation it only matters if you have limited slope and if you plan on going as long as possible in the later part of the season.

Black will run warmer sap; so if you have sunny 50 degree and higher days, you will loose sap quality rapidly. If you are going to pull the plug as soon as things rise out of the 40's, stay with black as it is generally less of a fixed cost.

On limited slope areas I only use blue to be able to check for a pooling sap.

I only use black on my dry lines to reduce the fixed cost and to get the line moving if it has any frozen sap from the night before or in the case of the early season 2nd run to get vac thru the bush as soon as the sun will thaw the lines and the trees. I have seen our blue lines take an hour and more to thaw after the black is passing sap.

I know some that have bushes that it makes no difference and these are often north facing slope and black or blue it takes warm temps to thaw lines that are not getting the direct early season sun.

Since there are many variables to the different bushes you will get many different opinions on this subject.

I would suggest that you explain your situation for the most relative answer.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread