+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our city experiment failed

Yes, that's the quote. Wise words from a very wise man.
    Like Edison, I'm certain everyone here on the forum has had an experiment, or two..., not go exactly the way they thought it would.
    But we all keep trying!
    Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I wondered how long you'd last in the "city", after that beautiful piece of heaven you left. Best of luck on your new path. At least it didn't take you a real long time to realize where you want to be.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Thank you to everyone. It's a good thing we like the little house we're in while we wait to sell. We're buying 9 acres from a friend that adjoins his 100 acre place. A beaver pond below where the house and barn will be. Yes, maple trees. Planning on a small sugaring set up with our friend who we began with years ago. Found an Amish crew to build a small pole barn and little cabin. Spending the winter getting everything in order. Spring will find us back there. The guys will do firewood together and the syrup. All packed and ready to go! I told the cats and my little dog freedom is real close. Plan on getting my chickens again and raising pheasant (did that long ago) so this is keeping us going. Getting a 2x3 from Bill Mason again. Hoping everyone has a great holiday!

Happy Holidays to you and glad you are able to come up with a great plan to get back to a property that you will enjoy.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Sounds like a great plan! You guy's will be as excited come springtime as all the kids are right now with Christmas coming!
    Enjoy the planning!
    Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Update. The land real fell through. It was for the best. Some things are meant to be. We are in Fort Plain. Found a nice little ranch in a quiet area of the village. Across the road are farm fields. The first week here a deer walked across the neighbors lawn. We've settled in. Still can't get used to neighbors. Real quiet here. 4 big silver maples in our yard shedding leaves. We're on the look out for some nearby land. Just seeing how things will work out...

Our only experience in Fort Plain was on Christmas 1968. We were driving on the thruway, returning to my job in Nanuet NY and on Christmas nite, the engine threw a rod. The temperature was real cold and we had our 6 week old son with us. I found enough oil to get us to the Canajoharie exit and we limped the 10 miles needed. At the toll booth we told the attendent what had happened and asked if there was anyplace open on Christmas Eve to look at the engine. We were sent to Fort Plain and a garage that was open. We went in and the owner checked the car and told us we needed a rebuilt engine. The only heat in the place was a well fired pot belly stove and we stayed close to it to stay warm until help from Oneida came to pick us up and take us back to Oneida. Then I had to call the boss where I worked to tell him I wouldn't be there to open in the morning, which I had been scheduled to do. The next day we had to go to the bank to take out a loan for $200 to pay for the rebuilt engine and have it installed. We then borrowed my mother in law's car and drove to Nanuet to be at work a day late. About 8-10 days later we got the call that our car was ready and we drove up on my next day off (a 5 hr. drive) to get the car, return our MIL's car and drive back to work for the following day. The rebuilt engine ran perfectly for the following 3 years , when we sold that car and bought a new Chevelle.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12