+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter press size vs number of plates

Default Filter press size vs number of plates

This is going to be my second year sugaring, we are planning to have 250-300 taps and scale up quickly in the coming years. Last year we used cone filters and this was painfully slow and messy. I am looking for a filter press that can grow with my operation. Smoky Lake has a nice looking stainless press that can hold up to 20 filters but it uses 5" plates. Would this give me enough capacity or is it better to go with a press that uses larger plates 7" or 10"? What affects filtering capacity more, number of plates or size of plates?

Joel
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

Smoky Lake copied my 5" press. Both his and my 5" presses are made from Aluminum. They use 10 filter papers. Send me a PM for our price on the press. I offer support with your press after the sale.
    His 7" presses are made from SS.
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

The capacity is based on the cubic inches in the hollow plates. Some hollow plates are 1.25 or even 1.5" deep but most are 1" deep. A short stack filter press comes with 3 hollow plates, regardless of if it is 7x7" or 10 x 10". On a 1" deep 7x7 you get 49 cu " in each hollow plate, a 10x10 is 100 cu. ". As such a short stack 7" press gives you 147 cu" and a short stack 10" gives you 300 cu".
    My press is a 7". I started with 3 sets of plates, but after a few years I added 2 more. Now with 5 sets of plates, I usually filter 30-40 gal/set of papers early thru mid season and it drops to about half that near the end of the season. The press I have could be further expanded by getting more sets of plates, up to 10 sets, but I'd need to get longer side rails to support the bank. A 10" will do just over double that.
    If you find a press with deeper hollow plates, you'll need to do the math. The cu." is the key, the press keep filtering until all the plates get filled up with filter aid and niter.
    My biggest year I had 1320 taps of my own and I bought sap from others to the tune of about 1800 more taps. My 7" 5 bank was nearing it's capacity only because I ran all my syrup to my 2x6 finisher and then final verified density and sent up to 60 gal at a time thru the press to barrels. In very early season I actually got the 60 thru 1 set of papers, but as I approached mid season it was definately 2 sets of papers. The only time I ran the lowest number of gallons was at or near the final clean-up at the end of the season. However I never had over 30 gal total after concentrating that but it took 2 sets of papers.
    If you will be over 2500 taps in a short while, you may want to start with a 10" short bank, then expand as needed.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M View Post
    This is going to be my second year sugaring, we are planning to have 250-300 taps and scale up quickly in the coming years. Last year we used cone filters and this was painfully slow and messy. I am looking for a filter press that can grow with my operation. Smoky Lake has a nice looking stainless press that can hold up to 20 filters but it uses 5" plates. Would this give me enough capacity or is it better to go with a press that uses larger plates 7" or 10"? What affects filtering capacity more, number of plates or size of plates?

Joel
    I know a producer who uses Daryl's press and is extremely happy with it especially after he converted the hand pump to an air pump. He's somewhere north of 100 gallons thru it last year and it certainly can handle much, much more . Daryl has been building these for quite a few years as well. If your going to LEME this year look him up, he'll be close to wherever there is food !
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Smoky Lake copied my 5" press. Both his and my 5" presses are made from Aluminum. They use 10 filter papers. Send me a PM for our price on the press. I offer support with your press after the sale.
    His 7" presses are made from SS.
    IMO Everything he makes is a copy that's why he's referred to as a "custom fabricator". Like Falatlander sugaring once said " anything but smokey lake". Nuff said

Could always buy a larger press than you currently need and just pull plates out for now, and add them as you grow?

Its the way I do it when refiltering versus right off the evaporator. When refiltering filtered syrup I only use one plate and make up the difference on the rods with black iron pipe. When right off the evaporator I use all the plates.

I'm currently on my third press in 6 years. Started with a 7" short bank to a 10" short bank to my new one this year is a 10" full bank with the air pump.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am still very new to all this but I am excited to learn and get involved in the maple industry. I will be at LEME so I will be sure to stop in by you Daryl.

maple flats, that is exactly the information I was looking for thank you.
    Last edited by Joel M; 10-19-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    2016: 4 Buckets, 1 Gallon of syrup
    2017: 70 on 3/16 Gravity, 180 on buckets, New Sugar Shack and Sunrise Metal 2x8 Maxiflame
    2022: Boiling for 1200 taps, new Volcano 2000 coming next summer

Great Lakes Maple

ditto to what PerryFam said about adjusting press size.

there are lots of nice presses out there - Daryl is one of the true gems in the maple industry, INMHO

best thing about a press is they hold their value very well.
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Go with one thats made in America not imported from China.

Lets see some pics of the maxiflame and the new sugarhouse Joel. We like pictures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast