+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pocono tapping differences.

Default Pocono tapping differences.

Hello Yuns, (Since we are in the PA forum now )
    I know in the Poconos we have a diverse temperature pattern spread out over the area, (These areas are something I just pulled from my head) I would think it would be the lowlands like the Stroudsburg area where I am, Mt. Pocono/Tobyhanna region which is only 15 miles away but may as well be Canada, the Endless mountains and north of I-84 corridor.

Anyone have any idea on the average tapping time for Stroudsburg or even all of the Poconos variations so others have the info. I am wondering if we will see this as soon as late Jan, Early Feb down here but have no idea, this coming season will be our first. And the average duration of the tapping season as I think it may be a short time frame here once the weather breaks and we quickly go from freezing day and night to above at night and day.

I have actually seen almost 2 feet of snow in Mt. Pocono the last day of September a few years back! and a dusting of course down the hill here.

This is just for my curiosity so I can kind of figure out a time frame we will be devoting our time to this new project.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the trader.
    I tap in Huntington county, probably about the same scenario you have. I would say early February is about right. Also depends if you have northern or southern exposure.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

Ahhh, Mt. Pocono, where the fog doesn't lift until sunset, . I'm just north of Allentown and Mt. Pocono seems like its winter is always at least a week, maybe even two weeks, longer than ours.

Acknowledging the huge difference in weather in the Poconos tells me you are headed in the right direction. I live in northern Monroe county (higher elevation than Mt Pocono) and actually have two bushes I tap two weeks apart. One is northwest facing one south. So much depends on your set up, buckets vs tubing, how long it takes you to tap snow depth etc. Best thing I can tell you is be ready starting mid-Jan and watch the weather. Don't get hung up on a date. I have tapped 32 days apart the last two years. Thats right 32 days. This year I was done making syrup 4 days after I tapped the year before. This part of Pa you can make syrup from mid Jan to mid April and anytime in between.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

+ Reply to Thread