+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pex tubing for mainline

Default pex tubing for mainline

Hey all. I was wondering about using PEX tubing for a mainline this year. I am going to put up a 3/4" main with a sureflow pump. I have a good size roll of Wirsbo PEX tubing left over from building our house and wondered if it would work.

Thanks Jason

Any pex I have seen is not a standard pipe size. So it would be difficult to find connectors for lateral tubing.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

yes pex works great...3 of my 5 runs are pex tubing ( plumber friend had lots of leftovers when i started out ) works great. you can buy plastic fitting that work with it at home depot ( same manufacturer that the maple dealers sell just different sizing ) . to get a prefect fit i would warm with a pipe torch,slide clamps on, then fitting, tighten before it cools. still do the same process when repairing them but i made mainline fitting tool out of a old car bumper tripod screw jack, 2- medium visegrips, some scrap steel and 30 mins with bandsaw and little mig welder. works great also made a saddle drilling tool from a old saddle drilling bit someone gave me, saddles work great on pex too.
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

Quote Originally Posted by WESTMAPLES View Post
    yes pex works great...3 of my 5 runs are pex tubing ( plumber friend had lots of leftovers when i started out ) works great. you can buy plastic fitting that work with it at home depot ( same manufacturer that the maple dealers sell just different sizing ) . to get a prefect fit i would warm with a pipe torch,slide clamps on, then fitting, tighten before it cools. still do the same process when repairing them but i made mainline fitting tool out of a old car bumper tripod screw jack, 2- medium visegrips, some scrap steel and 30 mins with bandsaw and little mig welder. works great also made a saddle drilling tool from a old saddle drilling bit someone gave me, saddles work great on pex too.
    What saddles should I use. Are the ones from Maple guys ok to use. Last year I bought all my tubing and fittings from them, didn't realize they were the ones running this website until a couple months ago. I was looking at the Lapierre super saddle manifold.

Thanks Jason

The maple guys ones that are the hose clamp ones would be your best bet because the OD of pex might be different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 125 taps 16 gallons
    2015 210 taps 49 gallons
    2016 164 taps 75 gallons new 2X6 leader max flue and homemade AOF/AUF arch
    2017 1500 taps 196 gallons RO added additions to building new tap lease
    2018 1588 taps 276 gallons
    upgrades for 2019 season 3 phase vacuum pump, stainless tank in woods, tubing replacement

Pex tubing may not hold up to uv rays.

From the Plastic Pipe Institute:
    The second digit of the PEX material designation code is used to indicate
    the level of UV resistance for the PEX material when tested in accordance with ASTM F2657. o A digit “1” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
    F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 1 month. o A digit “2” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
    F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 3 months. o A digit “3” indicates the PEX tubing has been tested and meets the
    F876 requirement for minimum UV resistance of 6 months. o A digit “0” indicates it does not meet any minimum UV resistance
    requirement or it has not been tested.

From SharkBite.com Q&A
    "Q: Can I use PEX pipe outside?

A: PEX pipe is not approved for outdoor applications and is not approved for continuous UV exposure. PEX pipe should not be stored in direct sunlight."

Just saying

i think the saddles i have are CDL... i bought a 5 gal bucket full of new and used from a guy that was taking his father inlaws that passed away tubing system . pex will do fine with the UV no need to panic.. most black poly tubing doesn`t have a UV rating on it, and it stays up for 10 years all year round.... i looked at it like atleast pex is a light color so the sun doesn`t warm it to much in the winter ( you want the sap to stay somewhat cool on its way to the tank)
    2x6 leader WSE with AUF, hood,preheater
    waterguy RO
    leader 16 gal custom water jacketed canner
    10 in short stack wes fab filter press
    540 taps on tubing with vac & always adding
    2- benders running 25" hg from GAST vac pumps
    few stainless bulk tanks
    1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually
    IH T340 dozer with 6-way blade

+ Reply to Thread