+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: October Journal

I need to pack more syrup, but today I switched my filter press pump over to my new air powered diaphragm pump. The longest time was spent disassembling the old gear pump set up. I had fitting going all over the place, one in from my FA mixing tank, one from my transfer line to move syrup from a barrel to my finisher, one out to the filter and one out for a bypass. It all made sense when I did it, but today it was a plumbing nightmare.
    Anyway, I dis assembled it all and I mounted the new pump on a piece of 2x10 for a base. I now have 1 input that can be changed from my FA tank (and my draw off tank T's into it) or I can just loosen the tri clamp, remove that line and replace it with the suction line for emptying barrels.
    On the pressure side I still have a bypass line so I can move product I'm not ready to filter, and I have the line going to the filter.
    I ran out of a few parts that I need to wait til Monday morning to get, then about an hour and I'll be moving product from a SS barrel to the finisher. From there I heat it, verify density, then fill the FA mix tank and pump it thru the filter and into the canner.
    I'm almost out of packed syrup so this new pump will be a big improvement, my old one took about 5 minutes to move a gallon when the syrup was at about 40 degrees, while it moved warm syrup at about 1 GPM. I'm hoping this new pump will move cold syrup a lot faster, if not, my next move is to get a barrel heater.
    I just don't like the idea of pumping air into a barrel using the compressor to get syrup out, it just seems like too much chance for contamination.

On a second note, I had a friend come to pick up 14 pints of syrup today and he asked If I wanted another sap tank. I asked what it was, then I went to look at it. It looks to be in good shape, about 300 +/- gal, with the lids. The compressor comes with it, but they are not connected. I'll try getting it going to keep concentrate cold to hold it for a few days when needed. I'm just going to give him some syrup for it. Looks like a great find and it's just 5 minutes away. The tank has been moved to a pole barn and the compressor is still in the milkhouse. This will cost me 3 gal of syrup.
    I'll go get it in a few days.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

well i was able to make something like cream,would not quite set up,,so i added some of the sugar i had made previously and it set up,,,not the awsome stuff tuckermountian makes,,,mine was kind of gritty...i will try agine and see if i can get it right...if it was easy everyone would do it.....
    i was surprised how long it took to cool the cooked syrup to 70 deg.,,,,i will make something to speed up this part of the process....the vt. sugarmakers at the big e had a clever set up that looked like it would work well for cooling the hot surup to the proper temp...
    Salisbury Sugarworks,,Parker Rowe, and friends
    Salisbury, N.H.
    1988 taps in 09
    over 2500 on vac in 2010
    no buckets in 2010
    2815 taps in 2011
    shooting for 3000 in 2012
    4000 taps? In 2014
    5x16 wood fired "Mighty Marvin"
    50 cords in the shed
    Old, old R.O.
    Charter member Andover/Salisbury Mapleholics
    http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/4...s009bx4.th.jpg

Hi Dave,
    Happy to hear about your "new" tank and the potential for cold concentrate. Having the ability to keep the stuff cold for a while will take a lot of the pressure off, which makes life during sap season a little nicer. Behind the R.O., it might end up being the second most liked piece of sugaring equipment you own.
    I had Fisher Farms out of Cazenovia hook up mine and get it going.
    Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123