+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: October Journal

Default October Journal

Welcome to October. By now all wood sheds are full for the 2017 sugaring season. Well I'm still filling mine. Been busy at work trying to get lumber and stakes stocked up before I start my new job. I took a job with NY Dot and will be running the mill part time. Ive never worked for anybody during my working carrier so it will be a big change. Hopefully I will still be able to sugar and grow my operation. L
    Sudzy's Purely Maple 2011 125 on vac 200 buckets 30x8 lapierre raised flue 12x20 shanty with 12x32 addition with 9x12 tank room tanks 500g 600g 300g
    [

url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sudzys-Purely-Maple/366440096710159

https://youtu.be/cK7V6VG2B_k

'Tis this month when it all begins. As soon as the leaves fall we will be hitting the woods. That means a lot of stuff to get done around the house so I can focus on sugar. Loving fall!

Scheduled to pour cement on the new sugar house 10/14. Running around the house like crazy getting projects done cleaning gutters/hauling wood prior to that. Once the building shows up end of October I saved a couple weeks of vacation so the exterior gets done before the snow flies.

20161002_182618.jpg20161002_182606.jpg20161002_182559.jpg20161002_115528.jpg20160929_174809.jpg
    We'll it's been a long time getting going but I Finally got started on my New Sugar house, it is 20x36. I have been working at it all summer, had the land cleared and the Hemlock sawn out, then spent 3 weekends stumping and clearing the site. Hauled out 13 loads of stumps and brush and hauled in 11 loads of fill and 1 load of 3/4 gravel. Also Ran water and electricity.

Took a couple of weekends to Fine grade the slab form it up and dig the haunches. Put in wire and Rebar. I used 3000 psi Crete with no additives. 16 yds of concrete later and I finally have something to build on. Got my Sils down this weekend, I went with 6x6 pressure treated. I didn't want to fuss with blocks or spend the money on a short wall. Now I have some work to do.

All of this would not be possible w/o the assistance of my Employer who let's me Borrow A Dump Truck and 40,000 lb excavator when ever I ask. I must say they are great people to work for.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 10-03-2016 at 06:56 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Hey Nate. It looks good so far! And I like the boulders out front like that.
    Keep the progress pics coming.
    Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

Nate:

I am curious as to why the pit in the floor? How is that pit to be used?

I am trying to understand for my future sugar house.

Keith

We got the last 8 pallets filled with evaporator wood on the weekend - always a relief to have that finished plus we have another 4 chord or so still sitting in the pile that we can dip into should next season be a doozy. The Beast got one last bath before the water gets turned off for the winter and we did some misc tidying around the camp. We spent a bunch of time re-packing 3+ drums of syrup for orders - great to have lots of family around to help bottle and label!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Quote Originally Posted by WVKeith View Post
    Nate:

I am curious as to why the pit in the floor? How is that pit to be used?

I am trying to understand for my future sugar house.

Keith
    The Pit is 3 feet square and 16" Deep. It will be Directly in front of the Evaporator.
    I Feel this will make wood loading easier because you will have a more direct view of the inside of the fire box, also your firewood will be at an arms reach rather than having to bend over to reach it.
    There's alot of opinions on weather I will like this approach or not, some folks are skeptical about stepping up and down into the pit. ( I do intend to pour a step in one corner when I figure out the best place for it.

I also think another bonus will be that it will keep visitors and my wife from standing directly in front of the Arch.
    There will be some safety issues with this arrangement but I'll figure something out.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Nate:

Thanks for the answer. I am not a big fan of bending to load firewood either.
    I hope the pit works well for you.

Keith

I always wanted a pit. A producer up the road from me has a pit in front of his 6X16 and it is pretty awesome for loading the arch. I have got my evaporator tuned to the point of only loading about 4 times an hour and it is raised up 12 inches so i can live without it. Your setup looks awesome and am sure you will love it. Worst case you fill it in. Jeff
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast