+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Air powered diaphragm pumps

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I don’t see why either wouldn’t work. IMO air pumps are like an RO. You will never go back.
    Yes yes and yes.... We tired our new Yamada NDP-15 BAT for the first time today and it is awesome. I am using a regulator with it which appears to be very handy.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Just got an NDP-15BST. Hooked it up yesterday and pumped some water through it. Seemed amazing. Ran my sweet through and was even more impressed with it after cleaning the filter press. I have about 35 gallon of syrup to reheat and run through hopefully tomorrow or Monday. I have a 25gal air compressor that works but could use a bit more. I am gonna plumb up an old hot water tank to keep a little more air on hand and think it will work just fine for me. You guys sold me on air diaphram.

Zoro has a 20% off spring sale until the end of April.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

25 gal is more than enough, unless you need to fill the tank and then use it with no new air being added. I use a 3 gal pancake compressor.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Cjf12, Do not use the hot water tank. They are not designed to be an air pressure tank. You will be building a bomb. Extremely dangerous.

Randy

Toad Hill Maple Farm

http://ToadHillMaple.com/

3650 Taps on Vacuum for 2010 & still expanding
    56'x64' Timberframe Sugarhouse - New for 2011
    3x10 Leader Vortex w/ Max Flue Pan & SteamAway
    1000 gph Leader Springtech RO
    777 Acres in the Adirondack Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Just got an NDP-15BST. Hooked it up yesterday and pumped some water through it. Seemed amazing. Ran my sweet through and was even more impressed with it after cleaning the filter press. I have about 35 gallon of syrup to reheat and run through hopefully tomorrow or Monday. I have a 25gal air compressor that works but could use a bit more. I am gonna plumb up an old hot water tank to keep a little more air on hand and think it will work just fine for me. You guys sold me on air diaphram.
    I use a contractors type compressor that has 2 small tanks on it and it is more than enough to run my diaphragm pump. A hot water heater tank isn't designed to handle the pressure and I say don't do it. When I use my diaphragm pump I never run it over half throttle. Just letting it chug the syrup slowly through press helps keep the syrup inside the press and not squirting out between the papers.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I have an air pump now, and like it, but I got a new filter press and need to put a pump on it. I'm interested in the Yamada pumps with their aluminum bodies. Looking for an update on how the pump is working out after a season or two of use.

Does it work well?
    Do you have a problem with the ball checks getting sugared up and either not sealing properly or getting stuck? It's a problem I have now with my air pump..easily fixed, so just a nuisance.
    Is the pump easy to take apart and put back together? See comment above. My current pump comes apart, fixed, and back together in like 10 min.
    Any issues with it?
    Etc.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

I agree, do not hook into the hot water tank, if it is new it should handle 100 psi, but if used you risk having a bomb.
    Why do you want more air in reserve, I use a small pancake compressor and it more than keep up with demand, if cycles on and off as needed. There should be no need for more air reserve unless you need to build up air in one location then move the tank to another to use it. If that's the case, nonly pressurize a tank made for that purpose.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    I have an air pump now, and like it, but I got a new filter press and need to put a pump on it. I'm interested in the Yamada pumps with their aluminum bodies. Looking for an update on how the pump is working out after a season or two of use.

Does it work well?
    Do you have a problem with the ball checks getting sugared up and either not sealing properly or getting stuck? It's a problem I have now with my air pump..easily fixed, so just a nuisance.
    Is the pump easy to take apart and put back together? See comment above. My current pump comes apart, fixed, and back together in like 10 min.
    Any issues with it?
    Etc.
    Hi Josh, The air pump that I used on my press was a Yamada aluminum body pump with buna/nitrile diaphragms and check balls. I don't remember how many years I used it, I'm thinking that it was close to ten years and I never had a problem with it. I rinsed it with hot water after every use and the check balls never sugared up and the diaphragms never failed. It was rated for less than 200* for an operating temperature and I always heated my syrup to over 200* when I filtered it. I always stored it in my RO room so that it wouldn't freeze too.

As far as taking it apart goes, I never had to so I never did. It looked like it was pretty easy to do if I had to though.
    Last edited by Russell Lampron; 05-21-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

My pump is a synthetic body, also rated for 200F and I heat my syrup to 205-210 F. I never had an issue. I did take mine apart in the fall just to learn "how it works" in case I ever had an issue. It came apart and went back together easily. Mine is a Ingersol Rand ARO pump. I bought it because I figured it would take sudden temperature changes better than aluminum, maybe I was just over thinking it. Any ways, I've had no issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast