+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Air powered diaphragm pumps

I have a Wilten(sp) pump that came with the Leader Clear press. It's amazing how much control you have with pneumatic over the old Oberdorfer. Filtered 3½ gallons of some not so warm syrup - about 110° - last Saturday. Although a little slow, it chugged right on through it without issue.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Dont want to hijack the thread but my pump died tonight. Whats the advantage of aluminum vs the kylar? With a diaphram pump the liquid doesnt even come in contact with the housing. Correct? Assuming they work similar to a sprayer pump. Got to order one asap. Been an expensive year for a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by cjf12 View Post
    Dont want to hijack the thread but my pump died tonight. Whats the advantage of aluminum vs the kylar? With a diaphram pump the liquid doesnt even come in contact with the housing. Correct? Assuming they work similar to a sprayer pump. Got to order one asap. Been an expensive year for a hobby.
    Yes the syrup contacts the housing.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I don’t see why either wouldn’t work. IMO air pumps are like an RO. You will never go back.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Whats preferable. Aluminum or kylar?

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    I have a Wilten(sp) pump that came with the Leader Clear press. It's amazing how much control you have with pneumatic over the old Oberdorfer. Filtered 3½ gallons of some not so warm syrup - about 110° - last Saturday. Although a little slow, it chugged right on through it without issue.
    How do you like the plastic plate filter press? What size air compressor do you run your pump with? I'm so sick of cone filters, I'm usually doing 8-9 gallons a day and it's just so hard to keep up with them. Very interested in the Leader plastic press but $$ of course!

For me anyway; the best part of it is the ability to see how much cake you have built up and how much syrup is left when you've emptied the drawoff tank.
    It's got a Wilden pneumatic diaphragm pump.
    I use a Rolair VT25BIG 2.5-HP 5.3-Gallon compressor that's rated at 6.5 CFM at 90 psi. Link here... https://www.rolair.com/products/air-...-carry/vt25big
    Nice wheeled unit with lots of cfm but is noisy. All in all, I'm very happy with both the compressor and the Clear Plate set-up from Leader.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Still trying to sort this all out. Unfortunately the pump catalog online distributor has some inaccuracies regarding max temp. some of their advertised Yamada pumps can handle. Poly pro body pumps can only handle up to 180F and not 212F. The diaphragms may be ok, but not the pump body.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    Still trying to sort this all out. Unfortunately the pump catalog online distributor has some inaccuracies regarding max temp. some of their advertised Yamada pumps can handle. Poly pro body pumps can only handle up to 180F and not 212F. The diaphragms may be ok, but not the pump body.
    I noticed the same thing with the pump I got from them. Tag on pump says 212 I think, but was supposed to handle 248, not that I need it. But I called and they assured me I have the hytrex parts, so am good to 248. I have the 15BAH.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Quote Originally Posted by sapman View Post
    I noticed the same thing with the pump I got from them. Tag on pump says 212 I think, but was supposed to handle 248, not that I need it. But I called and they assured me I have the hytrex parts, so am good to 248. I have the 15BAH.
    How do you like it? I've narrowed it down to the BAH or BAT. The BAT is a little more $$$ but it has PTFE diaphragms, o-rings and seals. The BAH has Hytrel diaphragms but Buna-N o-rings....

Their stated max. temp. ratings are related to the line of pumps, and not the specific pump however. At least that is what they told me today.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast