+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Air powered diaphragm pumps

Default Air powered diaphragm pumps

For those who have gone to a diaphragm pump on their filter press, what pump are you using? I am a smaller operation and at my age, not likely to get bigger again. Likely max is 1500 taps, plus I also buy sap from up to 2000 more taps in a good season.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

https://www.zoro.com/warren-rupp-dou...k9/i/G2116721/

Used this one for 2 seasons. Works well for me. My small pancake works good with it. Last season I switched it to a 10" press. I figured if they use the same gear pump on both sizes this would be fine.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Tuckermtn uses the same pump. He seemed happy with his so I ordered one.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

Maker is really up to you, Wilden is the industry standard and parts are readily available. Regardless or MFG. I would not go with less than 1/2" ports, the smaller pumps have such a small volume that it can be hard to get them to prime with cold viscous fluids. Sure they will pump hot syrup but you will struggle to transfer colder syrup. As long as you have PTFE trim, i.e. Teflon diaphragm and perhaps balls you will have no problem with hot or cold syrup and it will last a long time. BUNA N diaphragms will not take the heat of hot syrup. No real concern about it being too big as you have near infinite flow control on by throttling your air supply to control the speed of the pump. They work very well for a filter press due to this control.
    At least 5th Gen Sugarmaker
    30"x10'6" Vortex with Steamaway
    1000ish on vac with Atlas DSV065 Claw,
    ? buckets per how dumb i am feeling.
    Prehistoric DG500 RO, and a big Timberwolf splitter.

In addition to pumping hot syrup with that pump, do you also pull from drums to move cold syrup, before heating to packing into retail containers?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    In addition to pumping hot syrup with that pump, do you also pull from drums to move cold syrup, before heating to packing into retail containers?
    I have not tried to pump cold syrup with mine. I built a pvc version of Leader's air-drum pump. Then I got a good deal on a Leader one. Seems to be the best for me.
    William
    950 taps
    CDL 600 expandable

Pump cold syrup with mine all the time , worst part is im cheap and dont have a air dryer so the **** thing freezes up when its super cold but thats my fault
    4 by 12 cdl
    Cdl 3 post ro , 4th post waiting to get added
    5 hp sihi vaccum pump, 3/4 hp airblo vaccum pump, gv60 atlas copco vaccum pump www.roundmountainsugarhouse.com.

https://www.zoro.com/aro-double-diap...aa/i/G2537026/

Bought this last year. 1,200 gals run through it with no worries.

Thanks mountainvan. I just ordered that one.

You are welcome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast