+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air compressor suggestions

Default Air compressor suggestions

Hello,
    We are investing in a filter press this year. Probably the stainless steel from smokey lake. We are going to get both the hand pump and air diaphragm because we work in an educational program and would love for participants to be able to use the hand pump to get a hands on experience....
    But- with the air diaphragm does anyone have suggestions for what air compressor to get?
    Thanks in advance.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

I use a small pancake compressor on mine.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I have an older version of this - not sure I would say that it is "quiet" but it has been trouble free

https://amazon.com/California-Air-To...dp_ob_title_hi
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

Default How's the Smokey Lake Hand pump working?

Hi, I am also looking to switch out of the flat filter set up and into a filter press. I'm wondering what your experience has been and how much I might expect to process in a given amount of time with the hand pump set up? Gallons per hour or hours per gallon.

Thanks for your time,
    Trevor
    VT

2012-2017: 1'-2' flat pan on home made barrel stove, 20-60 buckets

2018: 230 taps on 3/16's
    30"x 8' D and G Arch
    Small Brothers Pans
    Steam hood
    Blower
    (RO but not enough taps to run it this year)
    Home made flat filter box.

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I have around 9 compressors and if you like really obnoxious sounds get a cheap oil less pancake type from harbor freight. Spend the money the first time and get a nice oil 2 piston type that will last forever. Mount it remotely away from the bottling area and enjoy your press.

Haynes suggestion is good but it does not fit all pocketbooks. www.lowes.com/pd/PORTER-CABLE-6-Gallon-Electric-Pancake-Air-Compressor/4764588?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CompressorsDiyAndStationary-_-4764588:PORTER-CABLE&CAWELAID=&kpid=4764588&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn }&k_clickID=c3c81b1e-f0e5-4309-9e6e-f55449498fc0&msclkid=2d2b688552cf18f1b5523234dc613 a18
    or https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1890e5e990cd78
    or any one that will give you over .5CFM at 90 psi will work. A compressor that is oiless with work fine, but they will not last for ever, on the flip side, you can buy them for far less if you shop around. A good one like Haynes suggests will last a long time, and if you drain the condensate routinely it will possibly last 25+ years, changing the oil when the owner's manual states helps too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm perfectly happy with my big box 3 gallon pancake compressor to power my air pump pushing through the 5" filter press. Yes, Haynes has a point--noise. But even he puts his "quiet" compressor in a different room. I do the same--compressor in the basement, hose runs up the stairs to the kitchen. Nice setup.
    Central Ohio
    Leader WSE 2x6
    Old metal corn crib converted to "The Shack"
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacket canner
    Daryl 5" filter press with air pump
    Deer Run 125 RO

2023: 140 taps, buckets, 32 gallons
    2019: 100 taps, buckets, 45 gallons
    2018: 100 taps, buckets, 31 gallons
    2017: 100 taps, buckets, 15 gallons
    2015: 100 taps, buckets, 34 gallons
    2014: 100 taps, buckets, 30 gallons
    2013: 100 taps, buckets, 52 gallons

I use an oil less 2 tank contractors compressor to run mine. I put it in my woodshed and run the hose through the RO room wall. The insulation in the wall helps with the noise and the compressor is portable for use elsewhere in the off season.

Trevor if you can afford it go with an air pump powered filter press right from the start. My press had a hand pump on it and I quickly removed it because I could only get about 5 gallons through it before it pumped too hard. My press is a Wes Fab 7" and the hand pump version isn't built as strong as the gear pump version. It won't handle the pressure as well.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread