+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Preference

Default Pump Preference

There a bunch of different kinds of pump to achieve vacuum in the woods but by laying out my circumstances it may help in this quest for knowledge...

The woods in question has power on two sides so running an electric pump is my best option from a power source perspective what type and brand of pump has everyone had the best luck with in terms of minimal maintenance and longevity?

Maple Man 85

Everyone raves about atlas copco from MES small pumps big cfms high vacuum little maintenance Great prices. My next one will be on for sure.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by unc23win View Post
    Everyone raves about atlas copco from MES small pumps big cfms high vacuum little maintenance Great prices. My next one will be on for sure.
    Would an oil cooled rotary or liquid ring pump in your option be better?

indiana vacuum if I had enough taps in one place to justify the cost
    Eric Johnson
    Tucker Mountain Maple Co-op
    1400 taps in 2013
    2.5 x 8 CDL pellet arch and Smokey Lake pans
    Lapierre 600 RO
    Member of Andover/Salisbury Maplehaulics anonymous
    www.tuckermtn.com
    pALS

If your looking for an entry level model, try and find a old Surge SP-22. No one is going to beat them in longevity and you can probably find one for around $500 still. Change the oil routinely and it will pull 22+ inches on a tight 800 tap bush no problem
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    If your looking for an entry level model, try and find a old Surge SP-22. No one is going to beat them in longevity and you can probably find one for around $500 still. Change the oil routinely and it will pull 22+ inches on a tight 800 tap bush no problem
    I'll have roughly 2,000 taps on the pump over 40 acres.

It all depends on your budget. 2000 taps is do able on a dairy pump but you are now looking at an M5, Delaval 76, 777, or an 84, Surge 2100 or a 2300 should pull plenty of cfs for you; or you can go to the higher priced commercial pumps.

All pumps need TLC, change the oil, watch the temp, and keep the sap out and they all do pretty darn well.

The other option is to piggy back two smaller pumps. Done it successfully for a few years now.

Get a boss hog pump that will run high cfm while pulling high vacuum. You want a vacuum pump that will achieve highest possible vacuum. From what I understand you get 5% more sap for every inch of mercury at the tap. We were able to pull 28.4 inches for a lot of last season on our Atlas Copco at the 10,000 tap bush and we got 34 gallons of sap per tap there. Of course last season was a banner year. The point is that an appropriately sized and high performance pump will be key to high yields, paired with a tight system.

Quote Originally Posted by WestfordSugarworks View Post
    Get a boss hog pump that will run high cfm while pulling high vacuum. You want a vacuum pump that will achieve highest possible vacuum. From what I understand you get 5% more sap for every inch of mercury at the tap. We were able to pull 28.4 inches for a lot of last season on our Atlas Copco at the 10,000 tap bush and we got 34 gallons of sap per tap there. Of course last season was a banner year. The point is that an appropriately sized and high performance pump will be key to high yields, paired with a tight system.
    Increased sap yield justifies a higher performing pump as well as a tight system as you mentioned. I am willing to spend the money in the woods as this is where the money comes from. I would rather buy a used evaporator or even sell the sap to my neighbor before I'd cheap out in the woods. Westford, those are impressive numbers!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast