+ Reply to Thread

Thread: September Journal

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Default September Journal

Kinda slow here...

Worked at the Champlain Valley Fair the past few days in the Chittenden County Maple Sugar Makers sugarhouse at the fair. UVM PMRC organizes and operates the education area. Got my fill of maple cream covered donuts.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Finished putting roads in a new bush that was thinned early this summer. Hopefully should have 5-600 there

New press is in just need to go pickup. Went from a short stack 10" to a full stack 10" with the air diaphragm pump. Should suit me for a while

Still splitting wood......

Building a retaining wall using 65 1000 lb blocks 2x2x2 fifty feet long. Quite the workout for a 3032e jd tractor
    30x8 Leader revolution, wood fired blower, steamaway/hood. 903 taps all but 54 on pipeline and 3 vacuum systems. Hauling sap this year with a 99 F350 7.3 diesel dump and of course back up is the Honda 450 and trailer.

Finished cutting up the trees that fell through out the summer in the bush, and attending a forestry festival 9/10.

Maple Man 85

Working on new this years project - Hoping to have things wrapped up before too long.20160912_170525.jpg
    Maplecherry

Santa just came early and dropped off my new Smokylake pan set it sure is pretty. I'm still working on the revamp to the sugar house. The main control panel I built for the shack is done. It has autodraw, stack temp, blower controls AOF AUF, sap level, high temp, and low head tank level. Still have plenty to do.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Finishing up installing 400 or so new taps, new RO is plumbed in, putting in new tank this weekend. Going to Pennsylvania to sell syrup at an Organic Festival on Saturday. Need to fix up a few spots in the woods but compared to last year, we have a hell of a lot less work ahead of us before the sap flows.

Hope to finish putting up the new 60 X 60 Quonset building this month,then hook up to some new main lines put up earlier this year,run a new mainline through a hill I had excavated,get ready for the steam away coming,move a building over the tank at the remote bush to set up the releaser and vacuum pump......................
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Did a little ground work for a concrete pad, got that poured, new tank was delivered and now making a building around that. IMG_0226.jpgIMG_0243.jpgIMG_0300.jpgIMG_0319.jpg
    Two Brothers Maple LLC

www.twobrothersmaple.com

+ Reply to Thread