+ Reply to Thread

Thread: History on some old time evaporators

Default History on some old time evaporators

Hi im just curious to know the history of king evaporator. Was he a fabricator for leader evaporator. Also i would like to know some info on allen soule. I know a little about him. Like he patented the first arch with 2 pans. I know he made buckets and spiles but did he to get bought out by leader? Also the vermont evaporator company out of oswego new york was that founded by grimm? I guess i would just like to know the origins of the evaporator. Grimms was bought out by leader? Dominion and grimm was founded by grimm and his cousins and then bought out by who?
    5x16 woodfired blower preheater
    8k taps 60cfm indiana vac 18cfm airtech
    Cdl 600 RO
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater

Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

Ues i have seen this thread before. Im in search of a more detailed information. This tbread doesnt tell me who was king evaporator? Also doesnt say anything about the vermont evaporator company. I guess what i need is the history on king evaporators and the vermont evaporator company.
    Cdl 600 RO

Ok so the king evaporator was a design built by pope and later bought out by leader. Leader called it king style pans gotcha
    Cdl 600 RO

Here's a little bit of history on the Soule Company and the King Evaporator.

The King Evaporator was the brand name evaporator of the George H Soule Co. of St. Albans, VT. In the late 1890s and early 20th century, George H. Soule was a successful bachelor farmer with a very large sugarbush in the Fairfield area of Franklin County, Vermont. With something in the neighborhood of 9000 taps, the size of Soule's sugarbush led some to refer to him as the maple sugar king of Vermont. In 1910 he developed his own evaporator and began manufacturing in Burlington under the name Burlington Evaporator Company. In 1913 he obtained a patent for his evaporator design.

In 1918 he organized the George H, Soule Company and acquired a portion of the old St. Albans creamery on Aldis Street and began to manufacture and market a variety of maple utensils and equipment. He later developed the Fairfield Farms Maple Company after finding himself stuck with a large volume of maple sugar and syrup following the failure of the Cary Company in 1931. He had previously sold the majority of what his sugarbush produced to the Cary Company. Needing a place to store and process the Fairfield Farms Maple Company sugar and syrup, he took over the Willard Manufacturing Company plant in St. Albans.

George H. Soule died in 1937 after which the company was run by his nephews Everett I. Soule and Raymond L. Soule. Raymond died in 1956 and Everett continued to own and lead the company until his death in 1964 at which time his widow sold the Soule Company to The Leader Evaporator Company, who then moved their Burlington operations into the newly acquired Soule Co. historic Willard Building in St. Albans.

S. Allen Soule was another prominent sugarmaker and wealthy farmer in Fairfield, VT, but Allen Soule was not a part of the George H. Soule Company and did not invent or manufacture the King Evaporator.

- Matt
    www.maplesyruphistory.com
    Last edited by sugar matt; 09-10-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Vermont evaporator was out of NY and was purchased by leader as well as Soule, and GH Grimm, They had a 3 pan set up flue pan in back, corrugated in front and syrup pan in the middle.

As far as I know Dominion and Grimm is still Dominion and Grimm.
    54 Acres bought in Sept 2010, hope for a lot of fun
    Kabota 3400 w/ bucket
    couple Husky chainsaws and a couple of Stihl
    Big dream
    2011 = 106 on gravity tubing, 100 bucket
    2012 =700 vaccuum 100 gravity 80 bucket's
    30" x 12' Vortex with Leader Revolution Max Raised pans
    2013 = 1200 vac, 200 gravity, 5 buckets, buying from 300 buckets, 500 vac
    Springtech RO 600 Deluxe
    2015= 1800 all vac @ home, buying sap from 1200.
    2017= 2200 all on vac. no longer buying sap

Ogdensburg New York
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

The Vermont Evaporator Company was started in August 1916 in Clarendon, VT by Robert H. Moroney, G.W. Fish, and T.J. Ford, all former employees of G.H. Grimm. In 1918 the company formally incorporated and moved to a location on Strongs Ave. in Rutland, VT.

In 1920 the company filed for bankruptcy but reformed and soon after was back in business. Following a fire in 1923, the company re-incorporated in New York state and opened up a new shop in St. Regis Falls, NY. In 1941 the company moved to Ogdensburg, NY before being sold to the Leader Evaporator Company in the spring of 1972.
    Last edited by sugar matt; 09-16-2018 at 08:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread