+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Cost Sticker Shock

Default Shipping Cost Sticker Shock

I was researching shipping costs and was quite surprised to find the high amount of shipping that goes into just a quart of syrup. For example the average cost to ship a quart of syrup was ranging from $10-$15 to ship across a few states . Just curious how successful is everyone's ecommerce business is? Not looking for personal business insight but are producers moving a decent amount of syrup online? I personally couldn't see paying $30 a quart for syrup (shipping included).

Maple Man 85

I rarely sell just 1 qt when shipping. I use a USPS medium flat rate box most often, which ships 3 qts or 2 half gal or only 1 qt if the customer chooses, and I charge the customer $15 S&H. Aside from sales out of the sugarhouse, my next biggest annual sales are shipped. When someone orders 1-2-3-4 gal I ship it in half gal jugs, because the shipping is better. I used to ship cases of 4 gal by FedEx but after 2 cases got damaged in transit, I changed to USPS. I have had 2 USPS claims over the years, destroyed in transit, but the % is lower for lost product.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I will agree with Maple Flats on this one. We too use the USPS medium flat rate box most often. For us, any damage has only occurred with shipments to either Colorado, or Washington state. Some just don't bat an eye at the shipping cost (which is significant) and like the convenience of having it come to their home, wherever it is.

I too use primarily flat rate boxes and find that it does take a bit of educating the customer to realize how to maximize the shipping cost. One quart is certainly expensive to ship, but you can fit several more things in a medium or large flat rate box with the quart, like another quart or two, or some pints, or some maple cream, candy or sugar. I ship two half gallons for $65 to the west fairly often as customers have realized it's a very good deal for high quality maple syrup.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

I've noticed offering 2 half gallons shipped instead of 1 gallon is very common online, and for good reason. I recommend it as well. But I was a little disappointed to see how much discount is given on the price of 2 half gallons? Same as gallon price. Obviously competition at work.
    Tim Whitens
    Willow Creek Farm
    Fulton, NY

3000 on vacuum, 3hp 3ph Busch pump, 2567 Gast
    30X8 Leader oil-fired evap. w/ steamaway
    Airablo 1000 RO
    6 Alpacas

Mine are not the same as a gallon, a Gal in 2 half gal jugs I sell them for $2/gal more, but the shipping makes it cheaper for the customer. That $2 more than covers my extra jug costs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

You can ship a single quart or smaller using Flat Rate Envelopes. I think I pay $6.85 to ship a quart. The bag is lined with bubble pack. I ship tons to Alaska and California and never had a problem. We sell top quality Vermont Syrup for $19.00 per quart and that includes shipping anywhere in the US.

Spud

Thank you veteran maple producers!!! I was working on my shipping cost analysis and became a bit perplexed, thankfully the Maple Addicts came through again!!!

You guys rock!!!

Maple Man 85

Quote Originally Posted by spud View Post
    You can ship a single quart or smaller using Flat Rate Envelopes. I think I pay $6.85 to ship a quart. The bag is lined with bubble pack. I ship tons to Alaska and California and never had a problem. We sell top quality Vermont Syrup for $19.00 per quart and that includes shipping anywhere in the US.

Spud
    Spud,
    how do you have your quarts packaged that you are shipping in the flat rate envelope? Plastic jugs? Something "flatter"?

When shipping USPS they sometimes ask if I'm shipping perishables or liquids. Does the shipping cost go up if you tell them yes?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast