+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrades for 2017!

Looks like this turned into a site-wide 2017 upgrades post. I will play along. I got a 2x6 from smoky lake back in the summer. His badgerland setup, so 42 inch flue pan, with 7, 7 inch flues (his regular rig is a 48 inch long flue pan with 10 flues). Went smaller and figured I could swap pans later and wont lose much on the first pan for resale.

I also got a 300 gallon milk tank for $300. I figured that was an ok deal. Then, I fell in to a real deal. A 1000 gallon milk tank, double wall, but lids missing, for..... $125 and a gallon of syrup. And it was delivered. It also has a heavy 3 inch tube stand welded to it so the drain sits approximately 4 ft above ground, with a slight slant towards the drain. The 300 will now collect sap at the end of my 125 tap gravity setup in the woods that I am just finishing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Chickenman:

>I upgraded this year to a Masson 2x3 with blower. Just finished installing the blower and am dry fitting the bricks. I have read that others are stacking the brick in the back of the fire box to within a few inches of the bottom of the pan. this will create a wave where the gasses and heat must go up and over then down to exit the stack, am I understanding this correctly?

I did this with my 2X3 except my stack vent is near the top of my stop so I filled in the area behind the wall up to about 2 inches below the back of my pan. I have a round vent hole that is mostly obstructed by the upper layer (possibly affecting my draft in my 8" X 10 foot stack) but the back of my pan boiled a lot better last year. I also have AUF.

In keeping with the spirit of the thread i added 2 5/16" lines to my trees in back (1-2% grade) and am setting up a pumping system to feed from my collection barrels to my holding tank.
    Last edited by eustis22; 12-30-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    2024 - New Maine resident, 12X12 sugar shack under construction
    2019 - New 12X12 boiling pavilion
    2018 - New Mason 2X3 Hobby XL and homemade RO

For my upgrades this year I'm trying 3/16 tubing. I have a line with 35 sugars and a large elevation drop, I'm excited to see how that goes. From what I read 35ish is about the max for a single line on 3/16's. I also now have a outside feed tank with copper tubing around my stack to help get my sap warmer going into my preheater pan. I will start building my new sugarhouse in the spring/summer. In the meantime I can't wait for this season get started!
    Started in 2013 with 15 taps on buckets and a turkey frier.
    Now 2020, 250 taps, 3/16's with vac. 10x14 sugarhouse. 2x6 Leader raised flue. Homemade 50 gal per hour RO.
    Munson's Maple’s

We have a MES 300 Dolly RO on order. All of us are looking forward to getting some sleep this season!

Happy New Years everyone!
    150 on 12v Shurflo pump
    250 buckets

Just finished the woodshed last week now I have to fill the monster, 12W by 32L.
    shed.jpgshed1.jpgtank1.jpg
    Also moved a new woods tank out last week we now have multiple days of storage in the woods or plenty of expansion room.
    30x40 Sugarhouse
    975 taps here at home. Still have 3-400 to add in.
    3x10 Cabin by the Creek evap with "steamaway"
    CDL 600 RO
    ebayed Sogevac S65

I just ordered a 16 gal Smoky Lake Water Jacketed bottling unit with the 3000W element. I'll be selling my Leader 16 x 24 propane fired bottler at VVS in the auction. It works fine and is in good condition (it even has a SS lid my tin shop made when I bought the unit), I'm just ready to upgrade.
    Jim says the new bottler should be in by the end of the week. Now I'll need to run power for the new unit ans build a counter where the old bottler used to set.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

MES makes fantastic equipment! Of course for those of us in NH it is super convenient to be so close. The guys there are super friendly and extremely knowledgeable. If you are in the market for new equipment this year I highly recommend checking them out. Not to much new for me this year. Having my releaser rebuilt this year. It got knocked off its stand last season in a storm. Hope to replace my high pressure pump on my RO. Possibly adding a few hundred taps but we will see if time allows it!
    3000 on Vacuum and growing
    3x10 H20 evaporator
    15x55 Sugarhouse
    CanAm Outlander 500

www.ridgelandfarmnh.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridge...77222115823193

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12