+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades for 2017!

Default Upgrades for 2017!

Hey everyone!

Just picked up my new evaporator for next spring! 2016 Leader 2x6 with the patriot pan system and carlin 102DB burner along with a 2x4 waterloo preheater hood! A brand new two cone filter/bottler, propane burner for it, 200 and 300 gallon stainless tanks came along with the evaporator, as well as 2000GPH transfer pump. The owner was moving south at the end of August and was getting out of it- I am pretty ecstatic about the upgrades from my flat pan system!

Just picked up my two condre Vacuum systems powered by Honda gas motors as well.
    beginning to map out my main line path this weekend. If all goes well I will have quite a few taps ready for next spring!

A huge shout out and thanks to everyone that has sent me PM's and offered advice, I am very grateful and do appreciate everyone's input and advice!

Congratulations on your aquisition! It is nice that you got it now so you have the rest of the summer and fall to get things in place and ready for next spring. Hope you didn't have any other plans for the rest of the year. Enjoy.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

congrats maplechaser that's one big leap ahead from where you were....I gave away my old homemade boiler and bought a mason 2X4 hobby evap with the blower option,,,,im also building a new shack for it,allready have the ruff cut hemlock bought for it I just have to take the time to build it. ive gotten all the brick and morter bought just waiting to brick it up after the shacks built and its set in place

Awesome job Henry, we will be getting together soon!
    2022 4x40" RO, Welch 1397 Vac Pump, 3 Guzzler Pumps, Lapierre Releaser, 1100 taps
    2021 Twin Baby Boys, Close to 650 taps
    2020 Upgraded RO to 2 post and 7GBS Pump. 265 taps
    2019 Smoky Lake 2x6 raised flue, Autodraw system, Maple Jet Filter Press, a beautiful new bride to be my sugaring partner :-)
    2017 Expanded Sugar Shack, new 2x6 with float box, NEXTgen Maple RO, 250+ taps, still on sap sacks
    2016 Sugar Shack, 2x6 evaporator, 160 taps, all on Sap Sacks
    2014 110 taps
    2013 35 taps

You should be happy with the the oil burner set up. I bought an older leader last summer with a carlin 102 and soldered pans, and it works great.
    Full boil in 2-3 minutes and when I'm all out of sap just flip switch off, close the cupola doors and go to bed.
    Thank god oil $'s were low last season.
    Let us know how it works this coming season
    Mike

12 x 16 Sugar house
    18”x72” CDL drop flue
    Homemade 4 post RO
    125 taps on vacuum (Guzzler)
    Smoky Lake 7” filter press

Well... I may have upgraded even more... Built a brand new sugar house 18x16... Ordered a MES dolly 300 three post. Just finished running 3800ft of wire for my wet/dry lines. Now it's time to wire tie away and then add in my laterals and 5/16. If all goes As planned I'll have at least 1000 taps but I am going to put in as many as I can before the season!

I upgraded this year to a Masson 2x3 with blower. Just finished installing the blower and am dry fitting the bricks. I have read that others are stacking the brick in the back of the fire box to within a few inches of the bottom of the pan. this will create a wave where the gasses and heat must go up and over then down to exit the stack, am I understanding this correctly? I was planning on starting the wall the width of a brick behind the grate and going the length for the height of the wall. the entire inside is lined with brick to cover the steel sides. Am I missing something here? should I go higher for the step at the back of the firebox? Have 8 feet of stack that I will be using. no shack yet, next years upgrade. did put evap an a cart so it can be wheeled in and out of the barn.

I ordered from Smokey Lake a 2 x 6 dropflue pan set, hoods, stack base, concentric exhaust system and a 6 1/2 gallon electric water jacketed bottler. I was just going to order the pan set but my Christmas sales were going good and I couldn't help myself. Most of it is done and I will pick it up next week.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Our upgrades included all new Bill Mason pans for our 2X8 with pipe drop flues. New addition to the sap house for our kitchen area.

Well just got got done bricking my 2x3 mason. Dry laid the bricks and did a test fire. Quite happy with results. Had a boil going in 20 minutes. NO INSULATION BEHIND THE SPLITS. little bit of heat given off but boiling outside it feels good. Once we move into our new place and I build a sugar shack, I will insulate and cement the bricks in place. So much better then the 22in x 18in roasting pan on a 55 gallon drum. Its 28 deg F here, windy and snowing like crazy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast