+ Reply to Thread

Thread: licensing

Default licensing

Hey guys and gals,
    Im going all in this coming year and will be looking to apply for state license for my operation. Here in Mn they want a Comercial kitchen basically. My local inspector wont return calls or emails. I have a few questions for you, 1 will pole barn steel work fine on the inside of my shack for washable walls? 2 can i run tempary water lines to the shed for hot and cold and 3 can i have a poly collection tank for my waste water and hire someone to come empty and dispose of it properly. I want to do it the right way. In 2 to 3 years i hope to build a newer bigger building with all the bells and whistles. Im just trying to get by on the short term until I have built up enough capital. Currently my shed is only 21' by 18' and space is very limited in this shed. Thanks for the imput.

Steel as you say is considered a easily cleanable surface. As for your water, you are to have a hot water heater on site, hand wash sink, and triple wash vats. You can run the cold water through a line from a tested source annually, and only in a food grade hose or pipe. This is Wisconsin rules, not sure about MN.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Same rules apply in Michigan as in Wisconsin.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

So Mark, are you saying I couldnt run a hot and cold water line from our milkhouse (about 25ft away)? I would have to install a water heater in my sugar house?

Quote Originally Posted by maplenutter butter View Post
    So Mark, are you saying I couldnt run a hot and cold water line from our milkhouse (about 25ft away)? I would have to install a water heater in my sugar house?
    I wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with that, but I am not the inspector. I'm sure not too many people have a milkhouse for hot water access. I run about 200 feet of hose from the barn overground, but that is cold water and may very well be putting a underground line in this summer. You'd really need to consult with your state inspector. I would go higher up the chain if he is not calling you back. All I have is a 2 or 3 gallon on demand heater on a shelf and they are satisfied with that.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

The MN deptartment of ag seems to be hard to deal with. I called several weeks ago and left a message asking for info on maple licensing. I had even left my email and asked they send me all info on maple regs. Several days later I get an email that says if you process from trees on your own land you don't need to be licensed?? That's it? That's all they have to say? I never even asked that question for one thing. So I called back for a week left one message at the end and still nothing a week later. I've tried to go on the website but there is nothing for maple whatsoever.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

I found information on WI site for Maple/Honey regs. The restrictions are ridiculous. Saying that you have to have a separate kitchen only for maple. A three hole sink, (they don't say WHAT you have to have the three hole sink for) you just need one. I am a certified NSFSA and HAACP and I know what is safe and what is not. Their regulations just make it impossible for the small time producer to sell anywhere but at Flea Markets, and such, or from the shack.
    10th year in….
    100 sap sacks...Actually, I hope to never have to use them again!
    1000' feet of 3/16th on gravity (not sure how many taps yet)
    14x14 sugar shack
    New 2x5 Hybrid Drop flue from Smoky Lake
    5" filter press from Daryl
    Sap Dog Chloe

I understand a sink for washing hands but a seperate kitchen? Sounds like they just find things to do to make their position seem worthwhile. I would understand if we were shrimp and seafood farmers but we're not. Maybe they want you to put your pans in the sink, how about the bottler, releaser, vac pump. Heck, throw the tanks in there too and wash them.

These regulatory departments allow people to eat poison on a daily basis but attack small guys making something that has never hurt anyone granted they use common sense and not be negligible which is a totally different story.
    March 2011- my brain had a weird spark
    3 taps then 14
    2012- 35 taps
    2013-GBM 2x4 150 taps
    2014- Custom 2x10
    2015- Smoky Lake 2x2 syrup 2x8 drop flue
    2016- turbo 2000 and 36 cfm sihi 500 taps,
    2017- SL filter and bottler

Fellow MN's If you google cottage food laws MN or cottage food producer you should find your way to the info. you need. They have a self certification you can do online and if sales are under 5,000$ annually it's free otherwise a nominal fee. Tommy what your after does get a little more complicated if you want a third party to sell your product. I can assure you that MN doesn't have the separate kitchen laws like WI. which as stated earlier basically kills any small producers. https://www.mda.state.mn.us/licensin...ttagefood.aspx Follow the instructions and do the online course pretty straight forward.
    Last edited by Johnny t; 03-01-2017 at 03:49 AM.
    2.5 x 6.5 custom built wood fired arch.
    2018- 300 on 3/16, 100 in pails on the flat.
    35 years experience still haven't mastered the fire
    Polaris Ranger collection vehicle
    Super excited to try out the new AUF system 2018

+ Reply to Thread