Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I'm pulling the plug! Today I told my boss I'm going to retire (from driving school bus, which has been my post retirement job since '98) sometime next month. My wife has been after me to retire for about 3 years now. I'll still do maple and blueberries, might find other things to do too. One thing I've been wanting to give a try, is forging, I might even try making a knife.

I am with you, just retired Friday of last week. Still think I'm on vacation. Going to 4 or 500 taps next spring and can focus on bottling room now! Free at last!! Congratulations!!

Woodsman
    Scarlet Jewell Sugar Shack LLC
    Sandstone, MN 55072
    16 x 24 sugar shack
    crescendo auto drawoff,

Home built ro with a Dow xle 4040 membrane.
    1 1/2 hp motor on 220 drawing 8 amps
    Gravity feed

300 taps on vacuum

2 x 6 Smokey Lake Corsair arch with blower and pans and preheater
    1529 Massey Ferguson, Yamaha Wolverine

https://www.facebook.com/ScarletJewellSugarShack

Instagram. Mapleshack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnmFMBgU10

Quote Originally Posted by WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER View Post
    Time for a bigger RO and more taps.
    I'm not sure about adding more, but I may be able to do the 700 that I had this year better. I'm going to try to sell my set up in my other lease (I have 2 leases). I will likely add up to maybe 100 at my sugarhouse, possibly up to 200 to be max. Then, in a year or 2 I'll likely either sell my last lease or just pull the tubing and tank there.
    At my age, I'm trying to scale down, but not stop.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Congratulations & good luck on the forge. Just be careful with the heat. It's a lot hotter than an arch! I built a small one and it's a step up in the heat department!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I might make one too. I looked at plans to make one using an old mower deck inverted for the tub, and make the burn pot out of a brake rotor. At this time, that's a back up plan. I think I'd prefer a hand crank blower but haven't found one yet I want to try. I saw one that may work but I'm not sure. It is a mil. surplus bunker vent blower from the 60's but the price was over $200 if I recall , it looks like what I see on antique forges, but I have no idea if it would blow enough air. At that price I wouldn't want to experiment. It just seemed too high. I'll keep looking. I could use an electric blower but I prefer manual.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

By the way, I have 13 working days left BUT I need to burn 9 days of sick time. The head boss stated at contract negotiations last year that we (drivers) were not smart enough to use up excess sick time above what can be carried forward (or can be cashed in at retirement). Since then I've been taking the time. I can only cash in a total of 700 hrs. and I have about 50 more than that, so, I feel a little sick, I may need to get some rest, in the next 13 scheduled working days.

I would feel sick too Dave if I had time that I was going to lose.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Quote Originally Posted by bigtreemaple View Post
    Congrats, and remember, Work expands to fill the time available!
    Yup.....the honey - do list will probably get longer!
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

I am sure it has been a difficult decision to make. I hope it is the right decision for you and your family.

Slowing down can be a very good path. I pray the decision is everything you expect it to be.

Ben

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12