+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flues in the Fire box?

Default Flues in the Fire box?

I just received my new 2x4 smoky lake hybrid pan and am designing the arch. My first question is what portion, if any, of the drop flues should be in the fire box. I have read some posts where 6inchs should be in the box and have read others that say none of the flue should be in the fire box. On this pan the syrup section is 18" deep and the flues are 30" long. Any thoughts?

Typically the ramp goes up under the flue pan a little to allow the flames/heat to flow freely under the flues. I'm guessing this is a raised flue. If it were drop flue then it wouldn't be necessary. 6" sounds about right although it might be less. I have little experience with smaller evaporators. Maybe contact smoky lake.
    Sean

2013-1st year...94 taps, 12x24 sugarhouse, home built evap. Gast 2065 pump with bender
    releaser.
    2014-30x36 sugarhouse, 2.5x10 "Jutras" evaporator, 1200+ taps on vacuum, sap brothers RO. 2 sihi 2 stage pumps, 440 gal.

2015- 1000gph memtek RO, 3250 Taps, 1200 gallons

2016- Modified grimm 4'x12' evaporator with auf and aof with air preheater. Home built airtight arch front. 4250 taps?

2017- 2400gph. Lapierre RO, 10" filter press, 5000 taps

I have a Smoky Lake Hybrid pan also. My firebox ends at the start of the flues but I'm considering moving the flues back a few more inches. I am getting a huge boil at the front of the flues and not enough in the syrup section.
    2'x4' Smoky Lake Hybrid Pan
    Copper parallel flow preheater & hood
    17'x12' Sugar Shack
    130 taps
    Two chocolate labs to help collect sap
    Brookfield, Nova Scotia

I also have a 2x4 hybrid I think I have about 9 inches or so exposed to the flame. IMG_20160316_172236263.jpg.
    Here's a pic if that helps.

Thanks for the input guys, I also am waiting to hear back from Jim at smoky lake to see what his thoughts are. At this point Im thinking I'll have about 6-10 inches in the firebox. Haven't started building yet though. Munster I saw your youtube videos of the rig in action, awesome, can't wait to get mine boiling!

I have a 2x6 and building a new arch as well. Most of the research I have been doing is showing 30-50% of the flu's exposed to the flame. I opted for the 50% this time. The idea is that there is more heat from the radiant light then the hot gases flowing through them.
    220 Taps
    2x6 Home made
    Sap Shack 20x20
    5 Shurflo diaphragm pumps
    250 GPH Deer run RO

+ Reply to Thread