+ Reply to Thread

Thread: evaporation rate on a flat pan?

Default evaporation rate on a flat pan?

since i've started this crazy hobby a few years ago i've heard all kinds of theories on what evaporation rates should be........i've always been using steam table pans filled deep, and am thinking of investing in a 3x5 flat divided pan for next season. this would be set on my homemade arch (oil tank laid on it's side) over wood fire with AUF possible

i've heard some say a basic rule of thumb was 2gal per hour/sq foot of pan. then i've also heard 1gal would be about right. even heard someone say 3gal/hr (but think they were talking flu pan) is there any kind of rule of thumb for this?

wanting to get an idea if the divided pan would actually up my production enough to warrant the investment....i would probably be using this setup for a couple years until i can afford a real evaporator.

on a side note, does anyone have a general idea what one of these runs commercially? from a metal shop i was looking at i was able to guesstimate around $8-900, but wasn't able to get exact quote yet. not a clue what it would be from a maple supply shop (rather keep the $ local if possible) i am sure it is going to be up a bit more.

thanks for any replies you can give.
    2012-2015 --- 10-15 taps = little over 1gal syrup made
    2016 first year larger production
    --------homemade evap (fueloil tank w/ 5 steam table pans)
    --------41 taps
    -------evap worked good, shelter did not = 3/4 gal syrup

I've always read it's 1 GPH per square foot of flat pan.

What sort of rate did you get from the 5 pans.

I got around 5.5 GPH from 3 steam table pans.

If your arch kept all your pans at a good boil I guess you would max out the potential of a 3x5.

I'm new to this so there's probably better info to come from others, though this forum isn't as active as it was during the season.
    2019-2023 40 to 50 taps to get 8 to 10 gallons of syrup
    2018 Built the sugar shack, produced 10.5 gallons (converted some to sugar,& cream). taps varied 45 to 50
    2017 Built 2x4 arch for a divided pan, 8.5 gallons from 30 taps increased to 42 taps during season.
    2016 Produced 3 gallons & 1 quart Syrup, Block arch & 3 buffet pans, 12 taps
    2015 Thought about tapping

With our prior 2'x4' evaporator we routinely got 15 gallons per hour evaporation rate, using a preheater. We always kept the sap level at 1.5" so we had a good boil. It will depend a lot on how well your arch is insulated and how hot a fire you are able to have in it. The boil rate will drop considerably if you are outside and a cold wind is blowing. You might want to check out Smoky Lake for a pan. He has several listed on eBay for under $600 and you won't find better craftmanship.
    Gary
    Last edited by MISugarDaddy; 05-10-2016 at 04:27 AM.
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

There are lots of variables that will affect the evaporation rate.
    My rules of thumb, assuming a reasonable firing rate with decent wood and under 2" depth and a rectangular pan.
    • 1 GPH flat pan, no blower.
    • 2 GPH flat pan with blower.
    Preheaters add 10-25%

Flue pans rates are much more variable, as the number and depth of flues, length to width, and syrup to flue pan ratios make a big difference.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

+ Reply to Thread