+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing pipe from vacuum pump to releaser when 450; apart.

Default Sizing pipe from vacuum pump to releaser when 450; apart.

Next year my 2nd system will have the releaser 450' from the vacuum pump. What size pipe do I need between the 2? Here's the setup, 450 taps on 1'' and 3/4'' mainlines. The vac pump is a Kinney 3hp liquid ring oil cooled, releaser is Lapiere mechanical and handles 1000 taps. Im planning on putting a vacuum tank about 30 gallon capacity close to the sap tanks and releaser. I'd like to run a 1'' blue tubing between them but im not sure. I want to do this right the 1st time. Have at it guys.
    1st year 2009- 125taps
    2011- 250 on gravity
    2012- 300 on vac.
    2013- 320 on vac.
    Modified Leader half pint
    Custom pans from Smokey Lake Maple 2x8.5
    16x24 sugar shack
    JD-770 pulling trailer w/275 gal. tank & transfer pump

I would use 11/4" minimum for that..and make sure you have a good moisture trap in there somewhere...Personally I would run it in 11/2" but I'm all about over engineering ...
    Chris Hicks
    The Sugar House at Morningstar Farm
    24x50 sugar House
    New 4x12 reverse fired leader arch and steam away
    new h2o innovations 1000 gph r.o.
    it's time to get back in the woods!
    www.sappyguys.com
    603-479-0804

1 1/2" will work best
    4x14 Force 5
    1,800 on Wet/Dry more come
    30x50 Sugarhouse

I agree 1.5" and you can use black if cost is an issue as it's not a wet line.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

I have 1000 taps on a 1700' X 1 1/4" vacuum line. 3 hp Atlantic water cooler. No problem maintaining 25".
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Thanks for the help guys
    1st year 2009- 125taps
    2011- 250 on gravity
    2012- 300 on vac.
    2013- 320 on vac.
    Modified Leader half pint
    Custom pans from Smokey Lake Maple 2x8.5
    16x24 sugar shack
    JD-770 pulling trailer w/275 gal. tank & transfer pump

I have a similar set-up on 475 taps. Two releasers about 900 feet from a 3hp Atlantic Fluid oil cooled liquid ring. Also, the vacuum is about 75 feet in elevation above the two releasers. I used 1 1/4 black tubing for vacuum line. The end of each mainline (2) is about another 1100 feet. I pull 27" at the end of the mainlines (with no leaks). I have two moisture traps...one near the releasers, and one next two the vacuum. I will occasionally get a little moisture in the trap near the releasers. I do pick up a lot of moisture in the oil of the vacuum... I have to drain the water out every couple of days...not sure why I get so much condensation in the oil. The moisture trap next to the vacuum is always bone dry.
    Hawkins Sugar House
    Sunapee, NH
    2x6 Patrick Phaneuf, raised flu
    3 Hp Atlantic Fluids Vacuum
    500 taps

I have a similar set-up at my place. 450 taps all going to my releaser and tank. My pump is 350' away. I have them connected with a 1" black dry line. that's on just a gast 1550 and I maintain 25" at my releaser all day long. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
    I will occasionally get a little moisture in the trap near the releasers. I do pick up a lot of moisture in the oil of the vacuum... I have to drain the water out every couple of days...not sure why I get so much condensation in the oil. The moisture trap next to the vacuum is always bone dry.
    Moisture in the oil is from the higher vac level and micro moisture droplets. It is very hard to get these out with out a metal moisture trap and making the air swirl across the outside of the canister from a center inlet design with a mess or screen to slow and direct airflow.

The tank near the releaser is a great design feature and will aid in trapping moisture. Black line would aid in warming the air to the vacuum so that the cold trap will condensate more moisture due to the temperature drop; but as long as you are draining the water in the pump and using vac oil it should be of no issue.

While my sheets show at 500' you will transfer nearly 10 cfm from your pump I would go with either 1.25 or 1.5 as the larger size is worth the investment to maximize vac transfer from the releaser that is going to be at its max size in the future and will be cycling more often than at fist with the fewer taps. More cycles will be dumping more feet of free air into the system and the larger plumbing will transfer this with less frictional interference.

Good Luck!

+ Reply to Thread