+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: May Journal

Current rate on the 3 x 14 is between 200-250 gal/hour,... with the steamaway Bruce tells me it will be 65% faster, that should equate to 330-412.5 /hour? Also looking forward to cutting down wood consumption like the new outdoor furnace, have two years ahead of it now because of lower consumption
    7th generation maple producer in sugarhouse built in 1892
    2x World Champion Maple Syrup Producer
    1250 taps on cv adapters
    Leader Vortex 3x14 with Max Flue and Revolution Syrup Pan,Enhanced Steam Away
    www.leggettmaplesyrup.com

Thanks guys. Hoping it works out, we have decent survivorship, and they they have as good a growth rate as I plan. They were planted on a damp but we'll drained plot if land that was a cow pasture for 60 years. Dark, and organic rich soil. Currently a grassy field, no canopy competition. It does feel good to invest in the future. That said, I know a lot (most?) farms in my arear operate "in the now", in my mind, to the detriment of future generations. Much of society is like that. But enough of social/societal observations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce L View Post
    Current rate on the 3 x 14 is between 200-250 gal/hour,... with the steamaway Bruce tells me it will be 65% faster, that should equate to 330-412.5 /hour? Also looking forward to cutting down wood consumption like the new outdoor furnace, have two years ahead of it now because of lower consumption
    Thanks -- those max flues are giving you a similar rate that I get with the regular flues on my 5 by 14, sounds very attractive.
    3,100 taps
    60 cfm flood
    HC2
    5 by 14 oil

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by adk1 View Post
    Upgrading to an ro upgraded to a filter press and expanding taps from 200 to 300+ with 200 being on vac
    ADK1 what kind of filter press did you get?
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Wes fab 7" short bank
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Adding another 200 taps on the vacuum system, and maybe another 75-100 on gravity. Just purchased a 1 season used MES 290gph 3 post ro, Clayton and Frank are putting in new menbranes and giving me the 2 year warranty just like a new one. Customer that had it first upgraded to an 8" machine they sell. I should be able to get 8% single passing but time will tell.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Sold my 20"x66" CDL Maple Pro evaporator and purchased a used 2'x8' Algier evaporator. Hoping to scrounge up enough used or cheap material to enlarge my sugarhouse this summer.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Must be Dr. Tim is on vacation, he usually has started a new month by this time. ..
    I wish. What with the end of the season being quickly followed by presentations at Open Houses (meaning analyze the data, figure out what it means, and put together PowerPoint presentations really quickly), year-end budget season at the University (so annual reviews and salary distributions for FY17), and writing papers/articles for various places....I'm busier than ever at this time of year. Should be slowing down soon though (at least I keep telling myself that), although there is the IMSI meeting and Maple Hall of Fame presentation in a couple of weeks in Croghan, NY (another road-trip).

On the positive side (at least for me), things should slow down considerably over the summer, as I will be taking a Professional Development Leave from mid-May to mid-September. I have a bunch of writing and editing to do during that time, so it won't all be fun and games, but it will mean being out of the office most of that time, and probably not on this list much during that time.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Im converting another 200 taps to 3/16th , I would do the whole bush but the laterals on some are new and Im not going to waste it. Ill change it over as the squirrels and tree limbs take it down. Ive been hauling firewood like crazy, found a local amish sawmill who has a huge pile of slabs ,both hard and soft woods. Wants it gone , so Ive been filling the dump trailer when I can and dumping at the sugarhouse. There are at least 10 cord ,so no running low next season. I am also looking to install AOF , I have AUF and want to add on. I think it will help with my firewood consumption any insight would be appreciated. I looked at RO's as well at the open houses ,I grabbed a ton of paperwork and business cards , going to seriously look into it for the upcoming season. Have a great spring and enjoy the weather,Al
    2011 2x6 leader and 125 taps and 30 buckets
    2012 another 200 taps on line and an addition to the sugar house
    2013 hoping to hit 400 taps on line and 25 buckets and adding a sap Guzzler
    2014 Brand new D&G 3x10 traditional evaporator and going to 450
    2015 D&G 3x10 and kicking the door on 500 on line
    My wife Marci who puts up with me buying "Maple Stuff"
    1 65 yr old father inlaw who is priceless
    And the good Lord above Amen
    Lakeview Blueberries/Maple Syrup on Facebook

Now that cleanup is done we're compiling our to-do lists for the upcoming year to fix what we broke and make improvements prior to next season. We also have a long shopping list of items we'd like to buy to increase sap yield, speed up sap and syrup processing and generally make our lives easier in and around the sugar camp.

Plus there's a basement full of syrup that we need to sell!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast