+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slowing down the big guys

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 802maple View Post
    I have been saying for years that this was coming, but continuously I was told that markets were bigger than production. Some of you know that I manage the booth down to the Big E for Vermont Maple and had asked many to come down to help out in promoting maple. Yet I was often told that it was to long a day to come down and promote our wonderful product. There are a huge percentage of people right here in New England that have never tasted Maple and yet it seems it is to hard to help promote it. A huge year comes along and it is everybody's fault but our own.
    Well said
    Couldn't agree more
    vacuum
    RO
    filter press
    auto draw
    New leader oil fired

http://s712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/jtrap/

I am sure most of us have our ideas on the promotion of our product maybe some don't agree that the big E is worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by 325abn View Post
    I am sure most of us have our ideas on the promotion of our product maybe some don't agree that the big E is worth while.
    So please tell us the right way.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Some feel that the Big-E is a waste of time, but when you see anywhere from 75,000 to 175,000 go through your building everyday for 17 days and nearly 20 percent of them have never tasted syrup. I have to beg to differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    So please tell us the right way.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by 802maple View Post
    Some feel that the Big-E is a waste of time, but when you see anywhere from 75,000 to 175,000 go through your building everyday for 17 days and nearly 20 percent of them have never tasted syrup. I have to beg to differ.
    Jerry, my comment was not aimed at you. And you know I will be back at the Big-E when the other job will allow.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

I know it wasn't, I just got trigger happy on the quote button. hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    Jerry, my comment was not aimed at you. And you know I will be back at the Big-E when the other job will allow.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

I think one of the fundamental issues is that maple products are expensive for many folks. I often get asked why maple syrup is so much more expensive than "table syrup" (high fructose corn syrup). This often leads to an explanation regarding subsidies and how the corn industry is highly subsidized and has the lobbyists to make sure that is the case.

Maybe the maple industry just needs some highly paid lobbyists to convince our representatives that maple syrup should be subsidized in the same way that the corn syrup industry is, so maple could better compete for a larger market share.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralStark View Post
    I think one of the fundamental issues is that maple products are expensive for many folks. I often get asked why maple syrup is so much more expensive than "table syrup" (high fructose corn syrup). This often leads to an explanation regarding subsidies and how the corn industry is highly subsidized and has the lobbyists to make sure that is the case.

Maybe the maple industry just needs some highly paid lobbyists to convince our representatives that maple syrup should be subsidized in the same way that the corn syrup industry is, so maple could better compete for a larger market share.
    Or, perhaps we can remove the subsidies from the corn syrup industry and be allowed to compete on a level playing field. I don't think we should play a game of "if they have a subsidy, we should too".

I get the same questions from people when we are selling outside of New England but once they know how much more of a quality and healthier sweetener that maple is, they will buy it. We just need to build awareness.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Or, perhaps we can remove the subsidies from the corn syrup industry and be allowed to compete on a level playing field. I don't think we should play a game of "if they have a subsidy, we should too".

I get the same questions from people when we are selling outside of New England but once they know how much more of a quality and healthier sweetener that maple is, they will buy it. We just need to build awareness.
    I totally agree and am in no way in favor of any sort of subsidies. I should have used the sarcasm emoji after my last statement.
    About 750 taps on High Vac.
    2.5 x 8 Intens-O-Fire
    Airtech 3 hp LR Pump
    Springtech Elite 500 RO
    14 x 24 Timber Frame SugarHouse
    16 x 22 Sap Shed w/ 1500 gal. + 700 gal. tanks
    www.littlehogbackfarm.com

Really interesting conversations! I would be happy to pay a small per pound price for marketing and research (although I'm not the one who runs the business, my dad is). I do hope that VMSMA develops their marketing strategies. The world has billions of people, many of which CAN afford maple syrup. We just need to reach them.

Although I've only been in the maple world for a few years, I believe (perhaps naively) that maple is very easy to market. I could list off 10 things in a row to a potential buyer about the advantages of maple over other sweeteners. The price is another issue.

I was down in Florida visiting my grandparents and stopped by a side of the road farmstand that sells Organic produce and meats. I chatted with the owner for a few minutes and then asked if she would like to sell maple syrup. I just sent her down a box of half pints and I'm hoping that she will do well and order more. I think if producers had the time and resources, it could be a very good idea to load up a van with syrup, drive outside the maple producing region, and meet business owners and individuals and market syrup. We all (I assume) are family-run businesses who take great care and work hard to produce a great product. We can manage our woods to produce sap for years in a sustainable fashion. The environmental impact of sugaring is low compared to sweetener production like high fructose corn syrup. Tout all this!

I've thought of just sitting down some afternoon and searching health food stores in non-maple producing regions. Maybe you call and ask if they sell syrup. If not, write them a letter introducing yourself and your product and send them a pint. Try it with 10 stores. Maybe some show interest, maybe not. Obviously the cost of shipping becomes an issue, but you'd be better off developing some kind of retail market instead of relying on the bulk market.

I canned a lot of syrup a few weeks ago- probably more than we could normally sell. My thinking is I will just pack up my car and head south with syrup if we have excess. Make a road trip out of it. I think it will work. Again, maybe i'm naive about all of this.

+ Reply to Thread