+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade releaser questions

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I was talking with a mechanical engineer friend about this and I'm wondering about a hybrid electric/mechanical solution. What if I were to put a hi/lo switch in a pipe and had it control solenoid valves at the top and bottom so they would simultaneously open. Would that drop the sap in the pipe out? I would put third valve that would close on the incoming sap line or use a check valve. I'm thinking that is the same as using a float that opens a flat on the bottom and a vent on the top.
    Yes, I have done this. I used a 3-way solenoid valve to do it. I have two float switches (high and low) and it cycles in about 5 seconds.

I have a long thread on sugarbush.info where I was discussing it as I was building it.

I controlled it with a raspberry pi and some software I wrote.

If your electrical connections are fine properly it works very reliably. I only had problems when some connections were not great - I switched to using scotchlok connections and it solved the problems.

As a bonus I also have the pump running off of a relay controlled by the raspberry pi and another float switch on the moisture trap that I can have cut power when sap gets in the moisture trap (and I can turn the pump on / off remotely)

It keeps track of sap volume as it dumps sap and generates graphs etc too.
    --
    2015 - 110 taps on hybrid pump + 3/16 natural vac
    - releaser posts every release event on twitter: https://twitter.com/ryebryesreleasr
    2014 - 30 taps on 3/16 gravity

You could use one of these top and bottom of your chamber to open/close a three way valve. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Water-L...646?nav=SEARCH Probably would need relays depending depending on valve. I have one of these on my RO wash tank so the water heater won't burn up if the water is low. I would connect the 3 way valve so the chamber is connected to vacuum source or switch to atmosphere.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by ryebrye View Post
    Yes, I have done this. I used a 3-way solenoid valve to do it. I have two float switches (high and low) and it cycles in about 5 seconds.

I have a long thread on sugarbush.info where I was discussing it as I was building it.

I controlled it with a raspberry pi and some software I wrote.

If your electrical connections are fine properly it works very reliably. I only had problems when some connections were not great - I switched to using scotchlok connections and it solved the problems.

As a bonus I also have the pump running off of a relay controlled by the raspberry pi and another float switch on the moisture trap that I can have cut power when sap gets in the moisture trap (and I can turn the pump on / off remotely)

It keeps track of sap volume as it dumps sap and generates graphs etc too.
    I'm looking at building a releaser using two 12 volt float switches and relays.
    Basically bottom float switch will turn power on, then when the top float switch trips it will latch a relay and power a solonoid valve to allow atmosphere in. Solonoid stays open until bottom float bottoms out and power is cut to delatch relay closing atmosphere valve.
    I can't seem to find a 1" 3 way solonoid valve anywhere. I wanted to use a 3 way so that vacuum would be shut off while it's dumping. If I just let it free flow and install a check valve on the wet line combining into the releaser will it still dump or will I be better off using 2 solonoid valves and have the dry line vacuum be shut off by separate valve while unit is vented to atmosphere and dumping.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Bricklayer

Did you ever get your releaser built? I'm building a 12v electric releaser and was wondering if you ever found a 3 way solenoid or what you used.

Chad
    Chad

2014: 12 taps, 5 gal buckets
    2015: 15 taps on bags
    2016: 150 taps: 100 on bags, 50 on 3/16" natural vac, 2x8 AUF/AOF Homebuilt Arch, 2x8 SL Drop Flu & Auto Draw, SL Propane Canner/Bottler
    2017: 225 taps: Built Lean to, Added SL hood, preheater, concentric exhaust, SL SS 7" SB Filter Press
    2018: 180 taps: Added Shurflo to 50 - 3/16", Auto fill sensor to head tank
    2019: No tapping
    2020: 175 taps
    2021: 300 taps, homemade RO and releaser
    2022: 600+ taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123