+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade releaser questions

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I'm going to need a couple of releasers for next season and I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to do that. One option I'm considering is a homemade one but outside of some ideas, I don't know the best way to go. After I know how complicated/not complicated building one might be, I can decide if building one or buying one is for me!

I know one way is an electric releaser and have a pump that pumps out the sap within and the other is a mechanical releaser that opens a valve using a float.

My main question is - where do I get the parts to build the releaser? Where can I can get a 2' piece of a 10 or 12" pipe? I have some stainless kegs, but I don't know if they are strong enough to support 25" of vacuum. If I go electric, where can I find a stainless steel (food safe) pump? If I go the mechanical route, what do people use for a float that is big enough to release a valve?

Let me start there and then I can ask my follow-up questions - unless someone knows a cheaper route to go.
    Below is a thread that we modeled our home built mechanical releasers after. We have built two of these and have been pleased. For floats we used stainless steel containers that would be used in your kitchen for a cookie jar or sugar/ flour storage. We punched a hole in the top and bottom with a body punch, made a sleeve with pvc water pipe and threaded fittings on that with o- rings to seal it. $5 dollars for the container at Ollie's Bargain Outlet and a couple of bucks for fittings. As far as large diameter pipe for the releaser goes we used 10 inch inside diameter pvc water line supplied by a brother in law that is in the construction business. Very thick walled and easy to thread. Capped both ends with 1/2 inch plexi and an o- ring. If you know anyone in that business they may be a good source. I picked up another section of pipe recently when driving by a waterline project near home. I saw a 2 foot piece on the ground and asked about it and they were glad to get rid of it so they did not have to carry it to the dumpster. Haynes built a releaser setup with kegs so he may be able to answer your question regarding vac levels that they can withstand. If I had a choice of mechanical or electric I would certainly choose electric. These releaser work good and we are able to pull 26-27" of vac consistently but are not nearly as efficient as the electric releaser. Rather lengthy cycle times with small cfm pumps. On one we use a small 2.5 CFM A/C pump and the other is a Gast 1550. The 1550 cycles much quicker than the A/C pump.

http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...emade-Releaser
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

Thanks for the link. I did read through that thread but I didn't want to respond with my questions to an old thread.

With the vacuum limitations of the dairy releasers I'm thinking about some other options. One of my limitations is the availability of a 10 or 12" pipe but I'm wondering why I couldn't use a smaller pipe - something that's available at a local home center. I see that I can get a 4" pipe. If I had a 2' tall 4" pipe, would that be sufficient? Does it have to be a wider pipe? I would have no more than 75 taps going into each releaser.

Using the suggestion about using some stainless bowls as the float, I found some 3.5" bowls that I could seal together and drill a hole through to mount on a shaft or dowel or something.

If I'm going to build something, I would have a few questions:

Would the lift of the bowls be enough to open a valve?

Most of the designs I have seen have the shaft going through the top of the releaser. How do you ensure an air tight seal to prevent a vacuum leak where the shaft goes through the cover?

As the float rises and opens a flap or valve on the bottom, is the weight of the sap enough to drain out and thus lower the float and close the flap or do I need to vent air in at the top as well?

I've seen a few mentions of a check valve on the input from the trees. Do you use spring loaded check valves or not?
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I would be tempted to use this check valve for a mechanical. http://www.webbsonline.com/Item/PVC-...FQSCQgodnzwAnw But if electric was available I would lean toward that option.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Mechanical needs to have a way to vent the vac to release the sap. 4" pipe will be tight to get a float that will work for manual with enough weight and buoyancy to overcome high vac. 4" also doesnt leave much for pump options for electrical releaser. You can find bigger diameter pipe through local contractors that do sewer and water lines.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I would be tempted to use this check valve for a mechanical. http://www.webbsonline.com/Item/PVC-...FQSCQgodnzwAnw But if electric was available I would lean toward that option.
    Thanks for the check valve suggestion.

I could run electric down there at a cost but the problem is the pump. I'm trying to find a reasonable medium between a commercial mechanical releaser (about $950 new, $700 used) and building something. Between the pipe, pump, running electric my time, etc., I'm pretty close to a used commercial mechanical releaser. I actually need three units to replace what I have with the Shurflo locations so I'm trying to keep my costs down.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

Quote Originally Posted by mellondome View Post
    Mechanical needs to have a way to vent the vac to release the sap. 4" pipe will be tight to get a float that will work for manual with enough weight and buoyancy to overcome high vac. 4" also doesnt leave much for pump options for electrical releaser. You can find bigger diameter pipe through local contractors that do sewer and water lines.
    I concur with mellondome. We started with a 4 " pvc float in the larger diameter pipe and had a hard time overcoming the high vac. When we switched to the 6 " stainless float it was much better. The larger float is much more buoyant allowing it to overcome the high vac. A smaller float in a smaller cylinder may act proportionally but I am not sure. The size of the vent hole is important also. We used a 3/8 hole with the releaser on our smaller pump with a 1 1/2 swing valve for the bottom and in it releases 3-4 gallons in about 5 seconds. On the larger pump we used a 2" swing valve for the bottom and had to go with a 5/8 vent hole due to more CFMs pulling on the releaser. We are using the same swing valves that wiam suggested (with no spring)on both the bottom of the releaser for dumping and between the releaser and main line. Just be aware that the flapper will be restricted by ice during freezing temps. If you run your pump around the clock it probably won't be a concern. But if you shut down while below freezing have a heat gun or propane torch available to thaw the valves out when you fire things up. We haven't used shurflo pumps so I can only compare our performance to what I have read, and I am not sure if you keep track of gallons per tap on your current set up. My point being, wether you go with mechanical vs electric will your production be better than the shurflo regardless of which option you choose? We do not run around the clock unless the temps are in favor of production due to the fact that we are on gas operated pumps. Getting up in the middle of the night is not conducive to working a 12 hour shift at the paying job. Our numbers this year are as follows , 20 gallons of sap per tap on the smaller pump and 23 GPT on the larger pump. If these numbers are acceptable and better than your current set up then mechanical of this style may be a good option. There is no doubt our numbers would have been better on electric but outside of not being an option for us, money is always a concern while designing a setup. You could always upgrade as time and profits allow. It would be very easy to convert the mechanical releaser to electric. Any holes can be threaded and plugged with ease.
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

I found a seller on ebay that appear to sell pipe length by the foot. A 10"x24" pipe would would be $88. That still leaves the question of the pump. I know that people use well pumps but I haven't seen any specific recommendations or a pump that costs less than $500. The Shurflo has a maximum head of 100' so I'm wondering if I connected that to a valve on the bottom of the unit if it could suck the sap out or if I would still need a relief valve on the top?

I appreciate everyone's input!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

" by Ipakiz - They are a low-dollar way to get into vacuum. So if you are interested in a Bender, I have several to sell"

I tried to pm you, but your box is full. Do you still have bender Releaser for sale?
    Last edited by tmessier79; 04-23-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    225 on gravity
    2x8 raised flue

I was talking with a mechanical engineer friend about this and I'm wondering about a hybrid electric/mechanical solution. What if I were to put a hi/lo switch in a pipe and had it control solenoid valves at the top and bottom so they would simultaneously open. Would that drop the sap in the pipe out? I would put third valve that would close on the incoming sap line or use a check valve. I'm thinking that is the same as using a float that opens a flat on the bottom and a vent on the top.
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch

I had considered something similar on a 12 volt system but ran out of time and figured I would need spare electronics on hand in case of failure. If my thoughts are correct you would only need to electrically control one valve to release the vacuum. The dump valve and the mainline check valve could remain mechanical and still work fine. I think a timer or controller activated by on and off floats/switches would be required. I have read a few threads where others have dabbled with this type of setup but am not sure what kind of luck they had. Some of the homebuit electrics are controlled similarly but are activating the pump rather than a valve.
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast