+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade releaser questions

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I was talking with a mechanical engineer friend about this and I'm wondering about a hybrid electric/mechanical solution. What if I were to put a hi/lo switch in a pipe and had it control solenoid valves at the top and bottom so they would simultaneously open. Would that drop the sap in the pipe out? I would put third valve that would close on the incoming sap line or use a check valve. I'm thinking that is the same as using a float that opens a flat on the bottom and a vent on the top.
    Yes, I have done this. I used a 3-way solenoid valve to do it. I have two float switches (high and low) and it cycles in about 5 seconds.

I have a long thread on sugarbush.info where I was discussing it as I was building it.

I controlled it with a raspberry pi and some software I wrote.

If your electrical connections are fine properly it works very reliably. I only had problems when some connections were not great - I switched to using scotchlok connections and it solved the problems.

As a bonus I also have the pump running off of a relay controlled by the raspberry pi and another float switch on the moisture trap that I can have cut power when sap gets in the moisture trap (and I can turn the pump on / off remotely)

It keeps track of sap volume as it dumps sap and generates graphs etc too.
    --
    2015 - 110 taps on hybrid pump + 3/16 natural vac
    - releaser posts every release event on twitter: https://twitter.com/ryebryesreleasr
    2014 - 30 taps on 3/16 gravity

You could use one of these top and bottom of your chamber to open/close a three way valve. http://m.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Water-L...646?nav=SEARCH Probably would need relays depending depending on valve. I have one of these on my RO wash tank so the water heater won't burn up if the water is low. I would connect the 3 way valve so the chamber is connected to vacuum source or switch to atmosphere.
    William
    900 taps plus 900 purchased sap
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian design arch
    1986 Seprotech 900 RO

Quote Originally Posted by ryebrye View Post
    Yes, I have done this. I used a 3-way solenoid valve to do it. I have two float switches (high and low) and it cycles in about 5 seconds.

I have a long thread on sugarbush.info where I was discussing it as I was building it.

I controlled it with a raspberry pi and some software I wrote.

If your electrical connections are fine properly it works very reliably. I only had problems when some connections were not great - I switched to using scotchlok connections and it solved the problems.

As a bonus I also have the pump running off of a relay controlled by the raspberry pi and another float switch on the moisture trap that I can have cut power when sap gets in the moisture trap (and I can turn the pump on / off remotely)

It keeps track of sap volume as it dumps sap and generates graphs etc too.
    I'm looking at building a releaser using two 12 volt float switches and relays.
    Basically bottom float switch will turn power on, then when the top float switch trips it will latch a relay and power a solonoid valve to allow atmosphere in. Solonoid stays open until bottom float bottoms out and power is cut to delatch relay closing atmosphere valve.
    I can't seem to find a 1" 3 way solonoid valve anywhere. I wanted to use a 3 way so that vacuum would be shut off while it's dumping. If I just let it free flow and install a check valve on the wet line combining into the releaser will it still dump or will I be better off using 2 solonoid valves and have the dry line vacuum be shut off by separate valve while unit is vented to atmosphere and dumping.
    800 new taps on vacuum for 2018 ( 400 ready to go , 400 or so more to go)
    Gas powered Alamo 100
    2x5 Phaneuf
    Auber auto drawoff
    Homemade arch with AUF
    Homemade RO single 4" MES 4040 membrane
    CDL 16 x 16 steam Canner

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123