+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want to upgrade..Isnt there anyone looking to do the same

Last year we built a 12x16 sugar house for our cute little 2x3 Mason. It was great to have all the room to work in! This summer the 12x16 is going to become the sales and bottling area and we are building a 20x24 attached behind it for a new used 2x8 or 3x10 with a RO room and 1500 gallons of sap storage and 500 gallons of concentrate storage. We have picked up a couple hundred acres of property to tap. So we are gonna go big now. The point to all this rambling is we did start with a small shack but it was layer out to be added on later. Even when "later" is only 2 years...lol
    60 taps on 3/16

2x3 mason evaporator
    New 12x20 sugar house
    50 milk jugs

10 buckets
    10 years old and just learnin

That is my story, without the couple hundred acres. And I am 50 not 10. My max will never exceed what i can do here on my property. 800 all on shurflo is my end goal. "Go big or go home" is a great Motto but the funds have to be available. 4 kids in college keeps me honest. 2x6 was my plan but 2x8 may be my choice.

It wasn't my plan at all to go big. This was supposed to be fun to teach my 3 sons about producing maple syrup. When we built the sugar house I layed it out for me to be able to grow later in life. The plan was if the boys were interested as they got older they could have a hobby business. The "problem" arose this spring when friends of ours came over to get some syrup, they didn't like the price so they offered a trade of a gallon a year for use of their land. That was way to good a deal to pass up. Almost all maples! But it puts me in position of forced expansion. Just as a suggestion, we have found a local mill that sells us rough cut pine at a great deal. Saved me thousands on the first sugar house! Sorry for the ramble.
    Last edited by Mini_Maple_Men; 04-19-2016 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Hillbilly spelling
    60 taps on 3/16

2x3 mason evaporator
    New 12x20 sugar house
    50 milk jugs

10 buckets
    10 years old and just learnin

I am looking at a rig, 2x6 with an inferno arch, looks amazing. The 2x2 front pan is new leader patriot pan and the back is a 2x4 raised flue soldered, older. Does anyone have a concern about soldered flue pans? I can afford this rig and that is my only concern to this point. they made 450 gals this year

Quote Originally Posted by awpoolco View Post
    I am looking at a rig, 2x6 with an inferno arch, looks amazing. The 2x2 front pan is new leader patriot pan and the back is a 2x4 raised flue soldered, older. Does anyone have a concern about soldered flue pans? I can afford this rig and that is my only concern to this point. they made 450 gals this year
    That should make a fine first evaporator. soldered pans are fine. May want to look into if it is Lead solderd or newer and Lead Free, either way you can make syrup with it just don't rub the soldered joints when cleaning. This releases more lead.

It wasn't that long ago everyone Had solderd pans. Personally I would be careful not to over Payour for the pan if it is Lead Soldered. Eventually these are going to be phased out completely and will have virtually no resale value.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

I suggest not paying much for a lead free soldered pan and not paying anything for lead soldered. Because that is the future value.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by wiam View Post
    I suggest not paying much for a lead free soldered pan and not paying anything for lead soldered. Because that is the future value.
    I second the emotion .
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

Quote Originally Posted by awpoolco View Post
    Sound like a good rig to get. I've only ever had soldered pans - my old evaporator developed pinholes in both the syrup pan and flue pan long before there was ever any issue with the soldered joints. I have had to re-solder a float, though. Not fun if you have no experience soldering stainless. If the flue pan is lead soldered, that will definitely limit resale value. But this rig might be fast enough to keep you in business for quite a few years anyway.

Couple more questions... How can you tell if the solder is lead or leadfree? Also, CDL vs. Leader? And, airtight vs not?

Go to a good hardware store . They will have a lead test kit . Usually for testing for lead in paint . It will work for this test as well . Good luck !
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123