+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie questions for michigan

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCreek View Post
    You are right about silly, Technically you don't have to have an FDA approved kitchen. The label you are forced to put on your product even has to say that. Their rule even says that the nature of the processing for maple syrup and honey cannot be done in a kitchen.....because collection of it is an outdoor activity in itself. It doesn't say your sugar house has to meet FDA standards it says you have to process in a facility that meets basic processing standards outlined in mi food law. So the question then lies what standards are the basic standards? You can read the rule book it doesn't say which ones are the basic ones and which ones aren't. There are some rules in there that are very basic like you have to have enough room in the facility to package onsite. one rule says there has to be a plan for processing and packaging and the people doing the job have to be trained. The building has to meet local construction codes etc....are those the "basic" rules? your guess is as good as mine.

You are exempt from inspection and licensing until you hit $1501 in sales so I am not sure why they even put the basic standard clause in there to begin with. One site I read said it was only protect the small guys from the FDA. supposedly it is the FDA that objected to Syrup being tied to cottage industry law. So MI added the separate exemption to keep the feds off our backs. I am not sure if that is true or not.
    Yeah, your kitchen doesn't have to be FDA approved, but it has to be compliant with the Michigan Food Law requirements which would make it FDA compliant. The basic requirements are the same requirements that cover any food processing not exempted from the Michigan Food Laws by the Cottage Food Law or other exemptions. They're not as stringent as restaurant licenses, which cover consumption on premises. It's deliberately circular so the FDA can't come down on the state for having lax public safety standards, but it also can't harass the processors due to the license exemption. I doubt there's a small scale sugar house in the entire state that is FDA compliant without also getting the state business license and inspections.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Dan,
    First, let me say welcome!

Regarding the Farmer’s market…
    The inspectors ran a sweep of our market last year. What they were most interested in with us is that we were labeled properly. The “Not produced in” sticker was the #1 item, and they checked every bottle for it. They also wanted to see our business name, address and phone number on each bottle. The only thing they got us on was that they wanted the size of the container marked somewhere on the container (8 oz, 12 oz, half gallon, gallon, etc.). Most of ours already did, but our 8 oz glass containers did not.
    They said even hand written on a sticker would suffice.

Being new to the game, I would invite you to check out the Michigan Maple Syrup Association’s web site:
    http://www.mi-maplesyrup.com/
    The middle of January each year we hold a conference in the Mt. Pleasant area. This is a one day event that gets everyone caught up on the latest news, laws and trends in the business. There are breakout sessions that cover varied topics, all of which are designed to help you grow as a producer and become more profitable. Many of the State’s equipment suppliers are represented at this event and are more than willing to chew the fat on any subject you like.

The fall tour happens in the Sept/Oct time frame. This is a one or two day event where we tour a handful of sugaring operations in different parts of the State each year. Last year was up in the UP, while the year before, if memory serves, was in your area. It’s a load of fun seeing how producers large and small tackle different problems, issues, obstacles, hurdles. We treat it as a mini vacation.

Of course, kids of all ages are welcome at these events.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweegs View Post
    Dan,
    First, let me say welcome!

Regarding the Farmer’s market…
    The inspectors ran a sweep of our market last year. What they were most interested in with us is that we were labeled properly. The “Not produced in” sticker was the #1 item, and they checked every bottle for it. They also wanted to see our business name, address and phone number on each bottle. The only thing they got us on was that they wanted the size of the container marked somewhere on the container (8 oz, 12 oz, half gallon, gallon, etc.). Most of ours already did, but our 8 oz glass containers did not.
    They said even hand written on a sticker would suffice.

Being new to the game, I would invite you to check out the Michigan Maple Syrup Association’s web site:
    http://www.mi-maplesyrup.com/
    The middle of January each year we hold a conference in the Mt. Pleasant area. This is a one day event that gets everyone caught up on the latest news, laws and trends in the business. There are breakout sessions that cover varied topics, all of which are designed to help you grow as a producer and become more profitable. Many of the State’s equipment suppliers are represented at this event and are more than willing to chew the fat on any subject you like.

The fall tour happens in the Sept/Oct time frame. This is a one or two day event where we tour a handful of sugaring operations in different parts of the State each year. Last year was up in the UP, while the year before, if memory serves, was in your area. It’s a load of fun seeing how producers large and small tackle different problems, issues, obstacles, hurdles. We treat it as a mini vacation.

Of course, kids of all ages are welcome at these events.
    Thanks for the input! I have been on the assoc website but I wasn't aware of the mt pleasant event. I will definitely be interested in checking that out.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    Yeah, your kitchen doesn't have to be FDA approved, but it has to be compliant with the Michigan Food Law requirements which would make it FDA compliant. The basic requirements are the same requirements that cover any food processing not exempted from the Michigan Food Laws by the Cottage Food Law or other exemptions. They're not as stringent as restaurant licenses, which cover consumption on premises. It's deliberately circular so the FDA can't come down on the state for having lax public safety standards, but it also can't harass the processors due to the license exemption. I doubt there's a small scale sugar house in the entire state that is FDA compliant without also getting the state business license and inspections.
    When I reread my post it came across as argumentative and that wasn't really my intent so I apologize if it read that way. Thanks for the reply on the subject I appreciate the dialogue.

I don't think it would be too tough to come up with a facility that meets the basic food law requirements. I was impressed with some of the stuff I saw at my first sugarbush tour with how they handled RO permeate for a pure water source and channeled the steam off the evap as a source for hot water. I enjoy learning from resourceful people and farmers can be some of the best at it.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by IndianCreek View Post
    When I reread my post it came across as argumentative and that wasn't really my intent so I apologize if it read that way. Thanks for the reply on the subject I appreciate the dialogue.

I don't think it would be too tough to come up with a facility that meets the basic food law requirements. I was impressed with some of the stuff I saw at my first sugarbush tour with how they handled RO permeate for a pure water source and channeled the steam off the evap as a source for hot water. I enjoy learning from resourceful people and farmers can be some of the best at it.

Dan
    I didn't take it as argumentative, I just wanted to make sure the difference between approval and compliant was understood. The issue comes up here fairly often with people who want to evap outside and then finish inside and then sell their syrup. When you go to make a compliant kitchen, you almost always have to get a permit from the local permitting authority and there are horror stories about how even one complaint from a neighbor about smoke or steam or activity late at night can turn into a cease and desist order for violating zoning laws.
    CE
    44° 41′ 3″ N

2019 -- 44 Red Maples - My home and sugarbush are for sale.
    2018 -- 48 Red Maples, 7 gallons
    2017 -- 84 Red Maples, 1 Sugar Maple, and 1 Silver Maple , 13 gallons
    2016 -- 55 Red Maples, 8 gallons
    2015 -- 15 Red Maples, 6 Birches - 3+ gallons maple syrup
    An awning over my deck is my sugar shack.
    An electrified kitchen sink and an electrified steam table pan are my evaporators.

Sorry to necro an old post, but I was trying to hash out the Michigan laws and saw this and figured it's probably still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Eater View Post
    there are horror stories about how even one complaint from a neighbor about smoke or steam or activity late at night can turn into a cease and desist order for violating zoning laws.
    If anyone in Michigan ends up with complaints, be aware that sap harvesting and syrup production are considered agriculture activities and are protected by the Michigan Right to Farm Act. When it comes to zoning, if any farming activity is permitted within the relevant zoning class, then syrup production can't be restricted. There is even some question as to whether or not ANY zoning restrictions can be applied to farming activities (it hasn't been fully tested in court). So if your local zoning official starts being a buttinski, start talking about filing a complaint under the MI RTF act.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/right_..._not_all_local
    2019 - 61 taps, 20" x 66" mild steel pan, block arch (8 gallons of syrup)
    2018 - 7 taps in 5 Red Maples, 2 steam pans w/block arch (2 Gallons of syrup)
    2017 - I thought I preferred "Lite" Fake syrup over maple.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12