+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Main line

Default Main line

Does anyone use 1/2 in mainline?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes 1/2" is used as mainline although it is sort of being fazed out there aren't as many fittings for it as 3/4 or 1". Last I knew there were no saddles that were actually made for 1/2", but you can still get the 4 port blue manifolds which was the way it was done years ago. 3/4" or 1" is probably a better choice being able to trnasfer more volume is never a bad thing.
    Jared

Yeah we have 3/4 and 1 inch. Was just wondering if people still used it. With that being said wouldn't it be better to use 1/2 inch? Bc they are saying 3/16 is better than 5/16 for vacuum. You would think that the less volume in a 1/2 inch main would be higher vacuum verse 3/4 or 1 inch?

Well if your looking for natural vacuum with no actual pump it does work. Our bush was set up that way when I was a kid it drops pretty good and with the old manifold system there was probably 50 or so taps on each lateral. With having to splice the line to put manifolds in you would put one in and load it down with taps to avoid putting in more. I'm sure we were getting natural vacuum, but didn't know it. It's amazing how the answer changes when more information is given.
    Jared

Yeah I'm sure you were. It just seems like for awhile everyone was pushing bigger is better but now it seems to be the opposite. The small it is the better for natural vacuum. It just seems to me that even with a pump you would get more vacuum bc the less volume in the like the more the pressure would be I think

Small is good for the initial pick up, but not for transfer. 3/16 works because it will hold the column of sap without air passing bavk upstream. Once you need to go to a larger conduit, it is hard to keep the column of sap from having air going back up it. Which will eliminate any vavuum effect the line has.

From a vacuum perspective, it doesnt transfer well through a liquid. Having a larger line will allow for the sap to flow via gravity to your tank/releaser while the air space in the line will transfer vavuum to all your laterals.

And yes, I have 2 setups using 1/2in as mainline. Both are under 70 taps and gravity.
    Last edited by mellondome; 04-13-2016 at 03:47 AM.
    2008 4 buckets
    ~
    2016 1300 vac tubing
    18x24 sugar shack
    2x6 Grimm Lightning w/preheater on natural gas
    7" full bank press
    CDL 600 RO
    2000 Sonoma w/ 200gal tank
    2003 Duramax w/ 500 gal tank
    2 sap guzzling kids
    very patient wife!

Same ol' addiction

I ave a 250 section still. It will be replaced by 1". I run high vac and will be extending the line to 1500' to capture untapped trees and to supply higher vac to trees that are currently on 80-100' long runs of 5/16 off another mainline. The old wire tie saddles are a pain compared to the screw locking ones I now use. the blue forks break if a limb falls and repairing is more time consuming than large mains as the 1/2" will fold over easier.

I do use 1/2" in ladders so I hope it stays around!

Ben

Default Main line

Quote Originally Posted by mellondome View Post
    Small is good for the initial pick up, but not for transfer. 3/16 works because it will hold the column of sap without air passing bavk upstream. Once you need to go to a larger conduit, it is hard to keep the column of sap from having air going back up it. Which will eliminate any vavuum effect the line has.

From a vacuum perspective, it doesnt transfer well through a liquid. Having a larger line will allow for the sap to flow via gravity to your tank/releaser while the air space in the line will transfer vavuum to all your laterals.

And yes, I have 2 setups using 1/2in as mainline. Both are under 70 taps and gravity.
    Well how can a 3/16 line make its own vacuum? I mean it's almost the same concept its it? 3/16 creates vacuum by long tubes of sap pulling on the tap. So say if the 1/2 is hooked to vacuum and creating tubes of sap wouldn't it pull just as much on the tap? It's the same concept. Both have tubes of sap pulling on the tap. So with the 3/16 how does the vacuum get to the other taps towards the top if it doesn't travel well through sap?
    Last edited by H&wmaple; 04-13-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H&wmaple View Post
    Well how can a 3/16 line make its own vacuum? I mean it's almost the same concept its it? 3/16 creates vacuum by long tubes of sap pulling on the tap. So say if the 1/2 is hooked to vacuum and creating tubes of sap wouldn't it pull just as much on the tap? It's the same concept. Both have tubes of sap pulling on the tap. So with the 3/16 how does the vacuum get to the other taps towards the top if it doesn't travel well through sap?
    The difference between 3/16 and even 5/16 is in 3/16 the air can't bypass the sap. Thereby pulling the sap along with the air.
    first year 2012 50 taps late season made 2 1/2 gals.

2013 2x6 homemade arch 180 taps. 20 Gals.

2014 40 on 3/16 gravity 160 on buckets.

http://omasranch.wix.com/omasmaple

+ Reply to Thread